Mixing your own finish.

kep1019

I have a quick question on mixing my own wiping finish, I understand the 1/3 BLO, 1/3 paint thineer or tuprentine and 1/3 poly. That is where my questions comes in, what poly finish to use, satin, gloss, semi gloss, I remember somewhere seeing that one was clearer and one had additives to make the gloss or stain cant remember which one. Anyway does the choice of poly go with what sheen you want or should the purer which ever that is be used?

Thanks for feedback.

Well, I don't mix my own, but I can answer one part of your question. Top coats that are gloss don't have driers in them to alter the sheen. The further from gloss you go (towards matte), the more driers are in the top coat. Doesn't have to be driers, but something to scatter the light and give the surface a more and more diffuse effect. It just happens that driers are tiny metallic particles or even mica that are good at that and even help the finish cure through a catalyst action.

The only varnishes I routinely use are solvent-based (like your example) and it is very noticeable how much faster a 'matte' sheen dries vs a 'gloss' sheen. In the case of Epifanes, gloss takes overnight and sometimes more. Matte takes, oh, 2-3 hours. (based on an AZ winter when it's much drier)