Zebrawood

Rapid Roger

I am making some small items out of zebrawood. This is my first use of this wood and don't know much about it, especially how to finish it.

These are kitchen related items but mostly for 'show' not so much for use.

1. Is this considered an 'oily' wood? I did wipe it down with paint thinner before glueing and it seems to have a very strong joint.

2. Would sealing with shellac first be a good idea or is it nessary? I would like to get a fairly shinny finish but, the grain/coloring is more importaht to me.

3. Oil? Like toung, linseed or mineral oils?

4. Is polyurethane a reasonable, longer lasting finish or is there something else that would be all that and have a better looking, smoother finish?

Thanks for any response, I'm still sanding right now but, would like to know what to plan on next.

Rog

Zebrawood has such nice subtle colors as well as contrasting colors. I'd use a water based finish to preserve the natural colors of the wood. Lacquer, shellac and oil based finishes will turn it yellow or amber. You could use a wash coat of shellac under a water based finish but the blondest shellac will still color the wood. Wipe on or spray poly should give stunning results. :)

Here's a shot from a sitting bench I made a few years back. Picture is huge intentionally so you can see the finish. I used General Finishes Arm-R-Seal which is really just an oil-based wiping poly. The oil definitely darkens the lighter stripes considerably and you do lose a bit of contrast, so it really depends on if you like that effect or not. But I didn't have any major issues with oil or anything so you probably don't have to pre-seal with shellac, although that's never a bad idea as a precautionary measure.

post-1-080860700 1283825819_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot from a sitting bench I made a few years back. Picture is huge intentionally so you can see the finish. I used General Finishes Arm-R-Seal which is really just an oil-based wiping poly. The oil definitely darkens the lighter stripes considerably and you do lose a bit of contrast, so it really depends on if you like that effect or not. But I didn't have any major issues with oil or anything so you probably don't have to pre-seal with shellac, although that's never a bad idea as a precautionary measure.

Hey Marc,

Great looking bench. The pic looks to have miniature birdseye looking things. Is that just the image or is there something really cool going on here?