Finish for bar top?

agentgreen

I am building out a small aquarium/bar, and am not sure what to finish the bar top with. It's a small bar top, only 40" wide, by 10" deep. I found something at HD that is meant for this type of situation for $20. Supposedly you mix it, and then pour it on the bar top, and is the equivalent of 60 coats of poly (or something).

I have a feeling this will make the bar top look very plastic-y, but may actually protect the heck out of it.

Any other suggestions for this? It shouldn't get a whole lot of traffic, unless my aquarium turns out like I want :)

Thanks!

I am building out a small aquarium/bar, and am not sure what to finish the bar top with. It's a small bar top, only 40" wide, by 10" deep. I found something at HD that is meant for this type of situation for $20. Supposedly you mix it, and then pour it on the bar top, and is the equivalent of 60 coats of poly (or something).

I have a feeling this will make the bar top look very plastic-y, but may actually protect the heck out of it.

Any other suggestions for this? It shouldn't get a whole lot of traffic, unless my aquarium turns out like I want :)

Thanks!

Folks have recommended Behlen's Rockhard Bar Top Finish to me, especially for alcohol (vodka/whiskey) resistance.

Is the underside of the bar going to be subjected to high-humidity from the aquarium or even splashing from fish frolicking near the surface? Any wood that will be exposed to that will need special sealing.

There is going to be a fish tank below the bar top, but I don't know how humid it will be as the back of the bar will be open. What special sealing?

west system has a porrable product out for this application as well.

Thanks I will look into it.

There are many finishes out there for bar tops that do create a very thick finish (some you can even float object in the finish is so thick). If you are looking for an alternative with less of a plastic look, I'd recommend taking a look at General Finishes Enduo-Var. It's a water based finish, so no fumes, and one of the company's most durable varnishes. It is even rated for flooring, so I would expect it could hold up to bar usage as well. It has none of the plastic look you might expect from a water-based poly, and comes in satin, semi, or gloss to meet your taste. I'm actually planning to publish a video blog post on a faux mahogany finish I did recently that uses Enduro-Var as the top coat, I'll try to remember to post that link when I finish editing. And no, I'm not associated with GF in any way, I'm just a big fan of their products.

There are many finishes out there for bar tops that do create a very thick finish (some you can even float object in the finish is so thick). If you are looking for an alternative with less of a plastic look, I'd recommend taking a look at General Finishes Enduo-Var. It's a water based finish, so no fumes, and one of the company's most durable varnishes. It is even rated for flooring, so I would expect it could hold up to bar usage as well. It has none of the plastic look you might expect from a water-based poly, and comes in satin, semi, or gloss to meet your taste. I'm actually planning to publish a video blog post on a faux mahogany finish I did recently that uses Enduro-Var as the top coat, I'll try to remember to post that link when I finish editing. And no, I'm not associated with GF in any way, I'm just a big fan of their products.

Thanks, I've heard a lot of great things about General Finishes.

• 2 weeks later...