Need Plans for Miter Gauge Setup Jig

rbbauer00

There was an episode of Woodsmith Shop where they made a miter gauge setup jig. The jig allowed instant setup for a left or right 45, or a 90 degree setup. Basically it was a square piece of plywood with two parallel dadoes and a 45 degree right triangle on top. You then just put the gauge in the dado and slid it against the triangle to set the angle. They did this at the end of the episode (where they give random tips that have nothing to do with the project that the episode was about). Does anyone remember which episode that was?

Obviously I want to make this jig, which seemed simple enough, but I wanted to see again how they made the "T" slot, as well as how they lined up everything to make it accurate.

First thing you will want to do is square up a piece of stock dead accurate (I would suggest ply or MDF, not wood as it moves). Once you have it square I would use either a accurate combo square, Japanese layout square, or drafters square and set your gauge to the desired angle and cut one side of your stock. Now cut the dado, next using a key hole bit with a router to relieve the material to allow your gauge to slide in.

Taking the time to get the cuts is whats going to matter but it will be worth it. Starting with stock bigger than your desired size will allow you to adjust for perfection. Also, if you are good with handtools you can use a shooting board to perfect the cut angle, not only for this but all your work, I would be lost without mine. For the mitered jig I would laminate some stock together so that you can run a dado on both sides that way you can flip the jig over for the opposing angle. Hope this helps.

Nate