Red Elm

RJsumthn

My local hardwood dealer has Red Elm on sale for $2.49 per bd ft. I'm new to woodworking and have not had any experience with the wood. I'm wondering if it is worth picking some up for some future projects. If anyone has had any experience with this, let me know what you thoughts are.

Thanks

Aside from some interesting burls, I've never found elm to be that impressive aesthetically. It's a little soft, too. I'd put it in the same category as poplar and alder...good for secondary wood for drawer sides and web frames, etc, and good for practice...not much else, at least in my shop. I can't say I've ever seen "red elm" specifically...I'm used to seeing generic "American elm," so maybe the species you're looking at is different.

PA220100.JPG

This is a table I built out of Elm. I didn't find it to be that enjoyable of a material to work with compared to maple, cherry or other domestics. The 2.49 price doesn't strike me as all that great either. I got this batch of elm for free, but after having worked with it I don't think I would ever buy any.