Plasma TV Lift

Bobby Slack

This is not a fine woodworking project ... just a box.

WHY ...

I can't stand seeing the plasma on the wall. Artwork belongs on the wall.

To accomplish this I am building a cabinet box where the plasma is going to reside, then ... open sesamo ... the TV lifts, we watch a movie with my bride and ... close sesamo ... the TV goes back down.

Fine ... no problem.

CRITICAL PATH.

The center speaker. I wired my TV viewing area with surround 7.1 type stuff so the audio fans say the center (or centre if you are on the other side of the pond) speaker should be right in front where we get the pop effect.

Doing this will make my cabinet 24" deep (about 660mm). This is stupid.

OPTION 1.

Install the Center channel speaker at the lowest part of the cabinet.

OPTION 2.

Install the center channel speaker just under the crown molding.

I prefer OPTION 1 because if I move the TV to watch the world cup the center channel moves with the TV.

Ideas?

I bought three years ago hardware from Accuride which is called CBLift-050.

http://www.accuride.com/Resources/PDF/Quick%20lift%20tech%20sheet-R3-1109.pdf

The components will be stored in another cabinet where I am using this hardware

let me know what you're looking at by way of lift hardware. I've got a "gamer bed" I'm working on that needs this kind of stuff.

I am happy to be of service. That is how this amazing forum works. We all pitch in one way or the other.

Happy New Year and let me know if I can help you more.

Thank you! (of course, dimensions require a redesign, but I can live with that.) THANK YOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!

(Can you tell I'm excited?)

• 3 weeks later...

let me know what you're looking at by way of lift hardware. I've got a "gamer bed" I'm working on that needs this kind of stuff.

I had been thinking about this lately and if non-electric lift hardware isn't available then it should be possible to make custom hardware using springs/pulleys to lift.

You may be right. I am too lazy to do that.

I had been thinking about this lately and if non-electric lift hardware isn't available then it should be possible to make custom hardware using springs/pulleys to lift.

After a pre-assembly done with Dominos, I realized the bottom of the TV was going to be at 48" high so I had to compromise and use a smaller center chanel/speaker. This will allow me to cut the bottom partition and have the Plasma bottom at about 36 to 38".

Not a bad experiment for my first time around.

Today I am getting wood for the face frame and I will try to match and sequence the pieces as much as possible.

The great thing about Bohnhoff Lumber is that I can go through the lumber rack and pull out the pieces as needed. I am going armed with chalk and my Festool Jig saw to cut pieces so they fit in my small FJ Cruiser. My big van is occupied by furniture my lovely wife picked up for Colorado so the van is completely out of commission.

More to come.