turning stone

duckkisser

a friend of mine gave me a block of soapstone im planing on turning it but was looking around for eather a quarry or a decently priced source of the stone.  im looking for talc blocks, soapstone blocks, and alabaster.  which ever would be cheapest if anyone knows of any mines in the midwest in illinois or else where please let me know.  or if you know of where i can buy some of the stone without paying a arm and a leg.

limestone also has a low hardness scale of 3-4.  since illinois is known for limestone (chicago was built out of it) would that be something that i could turn on my lathe?

for anyone intursted I just turned the first block of soap stone man is it every dusty what a mess. first time I have needed a dust mask while turning makes me wish I had a dust collector hooked up. if I ever do stone regular like ill get something hooked up. the block I had was full of little pits guess how im going to fill them....................you guessed right inlay.................anyone that knows my interest could have guessed that. I think ill use some brass dust and super glue them in to fill the holes and make them look like its gold pieces. when its done ill post a few pictures.

I had heard that it was a messy business. Depending on the color of the soapstone you used some copper or silver dust would look nice. Personally I think copper looks awesome with green.

What did you stabilize the stone with? CA?

that's the next step just roughed it out last night and then I attached some mahogany to the rim to add a little extra.  the stone is blue grey with a little red it so I thought the red mahogany would tie it together nicely. had to put it up and work on a small oak box while the glue dried over night.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...