Is there a technique for spraying frame/raised panel?

Dan Schocke

HVLP newb, so my apologies if this is a dumb question...

I recently purchased an Earlex spray station, and have been practicing with a WB poly on scraps of plywood.  So far I've been pleased with the results on flat pieces of plywood, but eventually I would like to spray finish a desk that I've been building over the last few years.  The desk is basically a mass of raised panels, and I'm curious if there's a method for getting an even finish.  Should I spray the perimeter of the panel first and then the raised portion in the middle?  Or does spraying straight across the set of panels as if it were just a flat board take care of all the surfaces (i.e.the sticking on the frame) without any problems?

I've attached a few pictures of the desk to give an idea of what I'm looking at.  Thanks for any help/suggestions.

--Dan

post-3848-0-83614200-1395433272_thumb.jp

post-3848-0-01968200-1395433283_thumb.jp

post-3848-0-31584300-1395433292_thumb.jp

Spray crosshatch pattern.

Can your desktop be removed and sprayed separately?

You can lay your desk over and shoot the back flat since your new to spray finishing and its easier that way since it's such a large area.

I would take an empty gun and practice all your spray moves. Thinking how to move around the piece. Maybe place the desk up on milk crates getting it off the ground higher in the air. 

-Ace-

Spray crosshatch pattern.

Can your desktop be removed and sprayed separately?

You can lay your desk over and shoot the back flat since your new to spray finishing and its easier that way since it's such a large area.

I would take an empty gun and practice all your spray moves. Thinking how to move around the piece. Maybe place the desk up on milk crates getting it off the ground higher in the air. 

-Ace-

The desk does come apart into sections, so I can spray the top separately.  The base of the desk is 3 sections -- 2 pedestals (banks of drawers) that can be separated from the vanity panel that's between them, so it will be more like 2 small dressers + a section of 3 raised panels that can all be sprayed individually.  I guess there's a 4th section if you count the drawer that's between the pedestals, but all I need to finish on that is the false front.

Thanks for the advice on practicing with an empty spray gun -- it seems like a good thing for me to do in general to get more comfortable with the process.  

--Dan