turncrafter lathes opinion

duckkisser

i have found two turn crafter lathes on craigslist these are around a hundred dollars.  i had planed to buy one maybe both to use for teaching wood turning.  i had also thought to use these at craft sales for demonstration purposes.  so i was going to mount them to a portable tool table that i can move around with a grinder and lathe on a single surface. does anyone know much about these tools? are they decent? can i use them for portable demonstrations. this will not be a heavily used machine except as maybe a alternative buffer.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/4560189506.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/4554215322.html

They're decent for what they are; small budget lathes. The big limit is going to be the size of the motor, so success will be a function of the size of object you're wanting to turn. Pens or small spindles they'll turn all day long. Small bowls (I'd say 5" Diameter and under) it will do reasonably well with.

They are sold new by Penn State Industries, if you want to see some specs on the current models...

lathes are super fun to use I bought one because I can make an entire project in a afternoon from start to finish. I don't have to use lumber I can just grab a block of fire wood and turn that.  it takes up a small space and since I don't have a full size shop I can make use of a corner in the basement. if you are unsure about jumping the gun and getting a lathe then feel free to come to my little corner and ill let you get a feel for it. just let me know what you want to make and I will have some wood blanks available.