New in Ohio

collinb

Just started doing some projects this summer.  Mostly a kitchen cabinet remodel.

It is certainly time-consuming to do a good job.

So far the #1 best thing I've learned is to patiently shop for quality older tools.

Auctions are a great start.

#2 is to prototype.  Waste a little bit of cheap wood to get it right on the finished product.  It takes more time but creates less waste of good supplies.

#3 is to know my limitations.  The issue is usually one of time.  For instance, using an ogee pair on the router can create a nice door frame but it really helps to have two router tables available (I don't).  Changing back and forth can take too long and keep me from getting the job done in a reasonable amount of time.

#4 is to have the right tools.  Hard lesson: A sander cannot substitute for a router/shaper for edges if they must be square.

Prototypes.... who has time for prototypes?  Usually the client (wife) wanted it three years ago.

If you find any good auctions, share.  Problem I have is I can't make many of them, since I work weekends.  makes some challenges, and solves others... (School takes up the rest of the time, so it isn't as convenient as you might think.)

And Welcome to the forum!

I'm in the Columbus area.  Westerville.

I do try to batch things out.  But a guy has to build trial units.  Not all of us get it right the first time. ;)

Columbus is a white collar city so things get priced pretty reasonably.

For instance, at thirft shots -- Dewalt DW422 sander for $4.  Needs new pad and dust bag.  Dewalt DW433 (iirc) 3x21 belt sander for $18.

At auctions ... a 60s vintage Craftsman table saw. 10", 2 HP.  $60  A Delta planer, 12", mounted on a home-made & hefty table.  He even added copper tubing so one could attach an air compressor for blowing chips away. $40.

Some things I didn't buy at auctions .. a nice Yates American table saw with micro-adjust fence & other goodies went for $60. It was a beauty but I didn't have the capacity to get it out of the guys basement.

A Craftsman Router Crafter at a yard sale for $15.

I go to these auctions.

http://mvhauctioneer.com/member.html

There's a good one this Sunday.  I won't be there.  That home-brew router table is temping, though.

jHop ... what kind of schooling?

Associates in Small Business Administration.  Considered taking classes down at Rio Grande for design of furniture, but I can't afford to not support the family any longer.  I'm in my last semester at TriC, so I'm trying to line up weekly work or get the business started quickly.