Mold on face frames!!!!

Cmac2008

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!.... Ok end of last winter I made about 10 FF and stained them but never finished... I then set them on carpet in my shed which drew moisture and now the bottom rail and ends of stiles for about 3 inches are dark and discolored... Should I sand down the whole FF and re stain? Any other options? I will try to post pic

Ok so far not too bad.... There is still some discoloration in the porous grains but I think most of that is the stain still in the deep open grains.... I figure about a day worth of sanding and a day worth of staining.... Should be a lot quicker then rebuilding these.... I just hit it a couple times with 120 palm sander and it's looking promising

Thanks guys a lot... I have one more ? For ya.... This is actually good that I am restaining these cuz when I did the first time I got what looked like little drops threw out my FF.... I've had this problem with red oak be for.... I finish sanding with 220 wipe everything down... Apply stain... Set for roughly 15 minutes and wipe down... Then I came back about another 15 minutes and wiped it down again (trying to learn from last time I stained red oak) everything looks great.... Come back next morning and it looks as some of the stain pushed itself back to the top

Of the wood.... Is this a moisture problem in the wood? Still not getting all stain wiped off?

Don't let the stain soak in so long on red oak. 2 to 5 minutes is plenty. The coarse open grain takes stain pretty deep. After you wipe off the surface capillary action brings that stain back up to the surface. Gentle wiping frequently will pick up those little spots.

I use a pro formula stain and spray it on, then wipe off the excess in a minute or so. To keep from staining the open grain too dark and too deep I use a pre- stain, which is basically the same as stain but without any pigments. It soaks into the thirsty grain, dries and the result is a much more even result. This might not be needed when you are trying to match something existing.

Don't let the stain soak in so long on red oak. 2 to 5 minutes is plenty. The coarse open grain takes stain pretty deep. After you wipe off the surface capillary action brings that stain back up to the surface. Gentle wiping frequently will pick up those little spots.

I use a pro formula stain and spray it on, then wipe off the excess in a minute or so. To keep from staining the open grain too dark and too deep I use a pre- stain, which is basically the same as stain but without any pigments. It soaks into the thirsty grain, dries and the result is a much more even result. This might not be needed when you are trying to match something existing.

Steve, take me a little farther down the road.  Please explain "prestain"

It is sort of like blotch control. If you have ever seen the open areas on oak end up very dark when stained it prevents that. The clear pre stain soaks in and prevents the thirstiest sections of grain from absorbing too much stain. The result is a much more even stain color overall. I use M L Campbell's WoodSong stains , the clear base that can be tinted also works as a pre stain. Minwax makes a pre stain, or you can use natural stain ( which has no pigment )