Hmm What do do with scrap

Wfd55

In an another post I read about someone making a lacrosse stick for one of their relatives.  I was looking around my shop at all the scraps and was inspired.  My son is starting to play hockey so i figured it couldn't be that hard to make a stick so I gave it a shot. Not half bad for scrap wood.  Next time I will make the heel a little smaller and if he wants me to make sticks after he chooses righty or lefty i will have to learn that steam bending thing but i am sure by then he will no longer think its cool to have a homemade stick. I am not so sure my wife buys it that I am not a woodworker yet.post-15998-0-21923400-1412443560_thumb.j

No such thing as “scrap”… Proper term for off-cuts: “Wood that has yet to be used.” :)

Hockey Stick: never built one, but suspect species and grain orientation are rather important – they’ve got to take a serious beating and not snap & fly across the rink… Just a thought…

I figure my son is 4, no slap shot yet.  The end grain to long grain joint is really a mortise and tenon that goes all the way to the heel. Should be strong enough for him anyway.  The professionally made ones use fiberglass on the blade to help reinforce that joint. the wood used is hickory for the shaft poplar for the blade.  There are probably better woods for this but that is what i had lying around.