A run of five etageres

Willin

We need bookshelves, and I thought I would do them as etageres, just like what I saw in a furniture showroom.  We already own some cherry pieces from the same line of Ethan Allen items, so I looked at the detail in their catalog, and modeled a version of same.  See pic attached.

Two will go in the room in one wall niche, and three will go on an adjacent wall.

I did not do a close study of the one I saw in the showroom, but since the piece has a number of panel parts, I thought I would use edgebanded cherry plywood.  My local source has it in either MDF core, or CFC core, and I will choose CFC, which is a mix of thin MDF layers and crossbanded hardwood veneers.  It is supposedly the better choice for furniture building.

I have an EZ-Smart tracksaw for breaking down plywood, but the setup is not as high quality as a Festool, so I would have to use my tablesaw, an old Jet JTW-10 contractor saw, for cutting the rectilinear parts.  Then, since the shelf parts all need all four corners notched for the column interfaces, I would need to jig up for that.  Thought maybe a bandsaw setup (I've a 14-inch Delta) would do for that.

But I am lazy, and am now shopping around to see if I can find a local source (Denver metro area) for cutting all my plywood parts with a CNC machine.  Have not found one yet, but I just began to look.  I'll ask the supplier who they know.

My pic shows the etagere, and also the three sheets of plywood, two at 3/4 thickness, one at 1/2-inch, that are needed to yield all the panel parts for my run of five pieces.

At retail, discounted, these would run us close to $4,000.  I can get the materials for less than $500 to make all five.

My Sketchup model was uploaded to the 3D Warehouse.  I did not model the pocket screws that affix each shelf to the columns, nor the various-sized dominos that assist the rest of the joinery.

post-16259-0-88134600-1438263801_thumb.p