Finishing pre finished birch plywood

Chris b

so a group of us at work just finished making 9 sets of cornhole boards, nothing too fancy just using dimensional lumber and pre finished ply for the decks. I am leading the mission - so far so good. The pine rails need to be finished out but the decks really don't need to be. Some of the guys are adding decals etc. the plan is to top coat and secure the decals with gloss exterior poly with 220 between coats. Maybe 4-6 coats. Probably will cut the poly to achieve smooth finish. 

My concern is the pre finished birch ply, never used it always used Baltic birch but needed 4x8 sheets to yield cost effective cornhole sets. The question is, ok just to rough the finished top with 220 and finish as normal?

thanks - Chris

• 1 month later...
On December 17, 2015 at 11:08 AM, xxdabroxx said:

On the same topic, if you buy pre finished ply, whats the best way to finish any edge banding you do?

Usually the way it's done at my shop if we're just spraying clear (lacquer) on raw edge banding we don't tape off anything. The finishers will knockdown any roughness from the overspray with 3M Super Fine sponges. Anything other then clear needs to be masked off first. 

• Like 1