Veritas carcass saws

SawDustB

I've realized that I'm sorely lacking in the non powered saw department. All I've got right now is a small dozuki and a flush trim saw. I'm thinking that the veritas saws are likely the best bet for a couple of reasons. I'm in Canada, so other options are really expensive right now with the exchange rate. EBay and fixing up something old also isn't much of a deal with shipping and customs, especially since I don't want to learn sharpening right now.

I'm eyeing the pair of veritas carcass saws, rip and cross cut. At $165 Canadian, it's not too bad (and less than buying a single saw from most other manufacturers). Any opinions? Is this a reasonable combo to start with, or do I really need a full size tenon saw instead of the rip carcass saw? It seems like the carcass size should cover most of my needs.

I'm looking to pick these up before I start my bench build.

The Veritas saws are decent, that's what I started with. The only real complaint I had was that I thought they were to small. For the price you can't beat them.  However I think in the long run their Tenon saws would serve you better.

Really, the tenon saw? Interesting... I was under the impression that the carcass size was the best all around for joinery. I had also thought about the set of 3 that had the dovetail, rip tenon, and cross cut carcass saw. Maybe I'll take a closer look at all of the options.

I'm not planning to replace the table saw or anything, so these will mostly be supplemental.

2 hours ago, SawDustB said:

Really, the tenon saw? Interesting... I was under the impression that the carcass size was the best all around for joinery. I had also thought about the set of 3 that had the dovetail, rip tenon, and cross cut carcass saw. Maybe I'll take a closer look at all of the options.

I'm not planning to replace the table saw or anything, so these will mostly be supplemental.

The set of three might make the most sense. I could understand wanting a smaller carcass crosscut saw but not on rip tenon saw.

I have the Veritas crosscut carcass saw and the rip tenon saw. I like them both. They are a good bang for the buck and work great. I also have a Lie-Nielsen dovetail saw so between these three I think I have most of the work I need back saws for covered.  I don't feel a need to get the crosscut tenon saw or a rip carcass saw but it depends on your work and comfort with them as to how much use you get out of them.

The rip tenon saw works well on deep, through tenons that the carcass saw may not be deep enough for but I have never needed a deep crosscut wider then the blade of the carcass. 

-Jim

Good feedback, thanks. I was initially just thinking of getting the cross cut carcass saw, but seeing that I could get the set of two and the second saw is effectively $70 instead of $95 was steering my thinking. I like the idea of the set of 3, but that's getting to be a little more than I was intending (and I don't really know if I'll use the dovetail saw all that much - I've got a nice little dozuki that is filling that role right now). I looked over the tenon saw in the store, and it looks nice, but might be larger scale than most of the work I'm likely to do (aside from my work bench). I also discovered a Disston cross cut mitre saw in my dad's garage, so a second cross cut tenon size saw seems unnecessary. Decisions, decisions...