Derwood

Apprentice Poster

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hi guys,

Just finished a trestle picnic table along with trestle benches. I didn't stain the bottom of the table, benches I did though, not sure of my reasoning there. But anyhow, when I go to spar with the 20/80 min/spar, do I do the bottom also? Does this need protection as much?

Thanks,
D

#2 JMadson Custom Wood

JMadson Custom Wood

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationWestern burbs of Chicago

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Yes, you need to put a seal coat on both sides unless you like a twisted, curly look.

#3 HoboMonk

HoboMonk

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi guys,

Just finished a trestle picnic table along with trestle benches. I didn't stain the bottom of the table, benches I did though, not sure of my reasoning there. But anyhow, when I go to spar with the 20/80 min/spar, do I do the bottom also? Does this need protection as much?

Thanks,
D

For outdoor uses, finish all sides.

Are you using spar urethane or spar varnish?

Blessings.
Where Appalachia meets Asia.

#4 Derwood

Derwood

Apprentice Poster

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hi guys, thanks for your input, it was spar urethane btw, and I did the whole bit. Looks great considering it's pine lol, but in the long run I figure this saves me money.

I have to take the pine comment back. It was enjoyable to work with this time considering I prepped it all right and took no shortcuts. The end result, time consuming as it was, indeed was a pleasure to both work on and look at. Now I have to figure out how to put it back in my yard. Did this in a small workshop lol.

#5 Derwood

Derwood

Apprentice Poster

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

This is the end result. Bit rushed, taking up too much space, which is why I asked the seemingly dumb question I did. I ended up finishing the trestles and all else, at the expense of my sciatica lol. Man,

#6 Derwood

Derwood

Apprentice Poster

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

there should be a pic. wth man

#7 HoboMonk

HoboMonk

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

Note: The term "spar" refers to wooden boat parts, such as the mast and topside. It is NOT a particular type of finish.
So called, "Spar Urethane" is a consumer-grade polyurethane containing exterior varnish. It is not very durable.

Real Spar Varnish is usually a tung oil/phenolic resin varnish with UV inhibitors that is specially formulated for exterior wood applications. It is typically a "Long Oil" formulation that remains more flexible when it dries. It if far more durable than the cheaper consumer-grade knock-offs.

A good traditional Spar Varnish is available as a house brand at Ace Hardware stores. It is a real tung oil/phenolic resin varnish that performs well and is less costly than the high priced imports, such as Epifanes.
Where Appalachia meets Asia.

#8 Derwood

Derwood

Apprentice Poster

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Yeah. I know that. USN Constitution was in my past. ;) Made my own mix with spar, real tung oil, not metal pressed, and minera spirits.

#9 Derwood

Derwood

Apprentice Poster

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

I'm sorry HoboMonk, for this late response, but thank you for the information.

Support the forum by shopping with our affiliates!

Shop Woodworking | Rockler Woodworking & Hardware | Amazon.com

Advertisementbellforest200x200-tww10 ToolNut.com FestoolProducts.com Image Map