Spar

9 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi guys,

Just finished a trestle picnic table along with trestle benches. I didn't stain the bottom of the table, benches I did though, not sure of my reasoning there. But anyhow, when I go to spar with the 20/80 min/spar, do I do the bottom also? Does this need protection as much?

Thanks,

D

Posted · Report post

Yes, you need to put a seal coat on both sides unless you like a twisted, curly look.

Posted · Report post

Hi guys,

Just finished a trestle picnic table along with trestle benches. I didn't stain the bottom of the table, benches I did though, not sure of my reasoning there. But anyhow, when I go to spar with the 20/80 min/spar, do I do the bottom also? Does this need protection as much?

Thanks,

D

For outdoor uses, finish all sides.

Are you using spar urethane or spar varnish?

Blessings.

Posted · Report post

Hi guys, thanks for your input, it was spar urethane btw, and I did the whole bit. Looks great considering it's pine lol, but in the long run I figure this saves me money.

I have to take the pine comment back. It was enjoyable to work with this time considering I prepped it all right and took no shortcuts. The end result, time consuming as it was, indeed was a pleasure to both work on and look at. Now I have to figure out how to put it back in my yard. Did this in a small workshop lol.

Posted · Report post

This is the end result. Bit rushed, taking up too much space, which is why I asked the seemingly dumb question I did. I ended up finishing the trestles and all else, at the expense of my sciatica lol. Man,

Posted · Report post

there should be a pic. wth man

Posted · Report post

Note: The term "spar" refers to wooden boat parts, such as the mast and topside. It is NOT a particular type of finish.

So called, "Spar Urethane" is a consumer-grade polyurethane containing exterior varnish. It is not very durable.

Real Spar Varnish is usually a tung oil/phenolic resin varnish with UV inhibitors that is specially formulated for exterior wood applications. It is typically a "Long Oil" formulation that remains more flexible when it dries. It if far more durable than the cheaper consumer-grade knock-offs.

A good traditional Spar Varnish is available as a house brand at Ace Hardware stores. It is a real tung oil/phenolic resin varnish that performs well and is less costly than the high priced imports, such as Epifanes.

Posted · Report post

Yeah. I know that. USN Constitution was in my past. ;) Made my own mix with spar, real tung oil, not metal pressed, and minera spirits.

Posted · Report post

I'm sorry HoboMonk, for this late response, but thank you for the information.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Bench - HELP!
      By micks · Posted
      I'd find a source for similar looking iron scrolls and buy those, then design around them.
    • Wood cutting planning tool
      By Woodcutter · Posted
      Well, my latest accomplishment is a little different...  I became frustrated that my old cutting software was obsolete, so I diverted my attention for awhile.  Read on to hear the story of an old "almost retired guy" who has tried to solve a problem for all of us New website gives woodworkers online access to low-cost pay-as-you-go customized cutting plans. I'm posting this to tell you about my new website, woodcutplanner.com I've been a hobbyist woodworker most of my life. I think you will agree, the advent of computers and the internet has really changed the game for professional woodworkers, carpenters and hobbyists.  Since my day-time job revolves around high-tech and programming I started using my home computer early on to increase the quality of my projects. One of the early programs I purchased was a cutting program.  I'm sure it paid for itself in wood savings. But, I ran into a few problems with my trusty software. When I bought it I paid for a license for the maximum size job I expected to do. I picked one of the smaller sizes, but occasionally I would do a bigger job and found it frustrating that my job size exceeded the license I had bought.  I coped with the problem by breaking my bigger projects into smaller ones, knowing I was messing up the optimal cutting plan.  Then, I encountered the final deal breaker, I decided to switch from a PC to a MAC. I didn't want to run a PC emulator on my MAC so now I had no way to run the software I had bought at all!  I thought to myself, "I'll call up the company I bought the software from and see if they have a MAC version."  But, I couldn't find them. I guess support is no longer available. I griped to my millennial-age kids, who are all very computer and internet savvy, and they said, "Dad, that is why everybody is moving away from buying software! Now days we really like applications that run "in the cloud".  I could see their point.  Why buy software that you may or may not use often, that may not work on next-year's machine, and that may lose support? With this thought in mind I decided to write my own wood cutting optimization planner. I dove into the development and finished a really great cutting optimization program.  I reported back to my kids, "No more buying a program for me, I've written a great program for my own use."  They said, "Dad, remember our discussion about great applications being available on the web?  You really owe it to the woodworking community to make what you have done available to them."  So after many more hours coding it into a website, woodcutplanner.com is born. Honestly my goal was never to make Woodcutplanner a revenue source. It will help if I can make a little money from it to support the website hosting and maintenance, that's all.  So I've set the website up to allow for free small jobs so you can play with it as much as you like.  For larger jobs I charge a small fee for computing the cutting plan. The most important aspects of the Woodcutplanner are: * Generate an easy to read cutting plan to avoid stock waste. The plans are also a great help in the shop when you dive into the actual cutting. I make a lot less mistakes when I work from detailed plans rather than just a list of final part sizes.
      * Make sure the entire plan can be cut with "guillotine" cuts (all parts can be cut from the stock by straight cuts).
      * Make sure the wood grain runs in the desired direction on each part.
      * And, since there will almost always be some waste of stock, try to group waste together into larger pieces in hopes they can be used on some future project. Since this website is brand new, I'd love it if you would visit it, play with Woodcutplanner, and give me your feedback.  If you like it, and share my excitement about the concept of pay-as-you-go, please pass the word on to fellow woodworkers.  I think this tool could be a great help to our community.  You can always try small jobs of 5 or less parts on the site for free. Two things about learning to use the tool:
      You can jump right into using it by clicking the Woodcutplanner links on the site. When you do that you will see a check box at the top right of the planner called, "Check box to show helpful hints".  You might want to do that the first time or two you use the tool. Later when you are an old pro you certainly won't need it, it isn't all that complicated to use.  In addition you will see a link to a FAQ that dives into a lot of detail on many topics.
    • To shim, or not to shim
      By Tom King · Posted
      I think when I shimmed mine that I bought a couple of sets of feeler gauges and used leaves out of them. I haven't bought any in a long time, but I'm sure they were a lot cheaper back then.  I think I used one at a guess, measured the effect, and added some different ones accordingly.
    • Forum Update
      By Jim DaddyO · Posted
      I seem to have to log in manually a lot now too.  Seems it does not remember who I am.  
    • Sculpted Rocker
      By TIODS · Posted
      Unfortunately, no.  I actually bought the lumber a couple months ago and it's just been sitting like that in my shop.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room