Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Laminated Turnings - Glue Line Problem

3 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I've made a few bowls with laminated blanks and noticed a problem with the glue lines. I sanded the bowls to 600 grit and finished with either oil and wax or wiping varnish. The glue joints were smooth at first. After a couple of days I noticed that I could feel the transitions on the joints.

The wood has been in the house for several months so it is stable. The glue is TB-2 and was allowed to dry at least 24 hours in every case. The woods were various combinations of soft maple, cherry, hard curly maple and peruvian walnut.

Posted · Report post

im guessing its just because its colder outside and the wood has shrunk and since the wood is so smooth you can feel the seperations more easily. the wood shrinks but the glue does not.

Posted · Report post

Our laminated turner expert in my woodturner's club recommends that after glue up, you rough turn the item then set it on a shelf for several months before returning back to it to finish turning it. That will allow the glue lines to stabilize.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Building an inclined cat climber
      By Marty Backe · Posted
      For our 21 year old cat, who can't jump much any more, I built this inclined climber. Being inclined allows it to be placed in a corner, minimizing the amount of floor space it takes. See the full length (~50 minutes) version here: https://youtu.be/lYt7jrB3O60  
    • New to wood working need some advice on buying from a lumber dealer.
      By wtnhighlander · Posted
      D_cruise78, if you want a butcher block look, consider using 8/4 lumber, ripping it to 8 or 10/4 widths, then rotating those sticks so the face grain glues together, leaving the 8/4 edge grain as the show surface. This panel will be more dimensionally stable. And look more like a "butcher block".
    • Built-in Alcove Cabinets
      By moonjam · Posted
      I'm currently torn on this due to the power arrangement. I'm getting an electrician round to quote on adding a dedicated socket on the back wall of the alcove. If it's not too pricey or time consuming then I'll go ahead with my plan to put the sub woofer in the cabinet, cut a hole in the back panel for the plug socket and hope that this and 2mm gap around the doors will be enough to let the sound travel. If its not, then I'll try drilling some holes in the base of the unit as well. If that doesn't work then I'll probably just cry, admit defeat and try to find another place we can hide the speaker
    • Added Some Power
      By TerryMcK · Posted
      Pity you couldn't bring the contents of the old shop with you to Hawaii James. I've heard lots of good reports about the DW735.
    • Newbie DIY Table Leg help
      By wtnhighlander · Posted
      Be careful if mixing species in a stained project, as the different woods do not generally take color the same. Grain patterns will also differ, detracting from the over all appearance, unless the differences are accounted for in the design. Personally, I would use a single species, even if it required laminating to get the thicker pieces. I would also consider a dye, rather than stain, for a uniformly dark surface. There are dyes formulated specifically for wood, but if a true solid black is desired, Kiwi liquid leather dye (sold with the other shoe polish products) works great. India ink is another option. Compared to paint, the dyes give a solid black color, but do not fill in the texture of the wood.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room