Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike M

Laminated Turnings - Glue Line Problem

3 posts in this topic

I've made a few bowls with laminated blanks and noticed a problem with the glue lines. I sanded the bowls to 600 grit and finished with either oil and wax or wiping varnish. The glue joints were smooth at first. After a couple of days I noticed that I could feel the transitions on the joints.

The wood has been in the house for several months so it is stable. The glue is TB-2 and was allowed to dry at least 24 hours in every case. The woods were various combinations of soft maple, cherry, hard curly maple and peruvian walnut.

im guessing its just because its colder outside and the wood has shrunk and since the wood is so smooth you can feel the seperations more easily. the wood shrinks but the glue does not.

Our laminated turner expert in my woodturner's club recommends that after glue up, you rough turn the item then set it on a shelf for several months before returning back to it to finish turning it. That will allow the glue lines to stabilize.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Topics

• FESTOOL Table Choices
      There were two important design criteria. 1. Length and width must be a couple mm's smaller than the length and width of the mft measured to the side rail faces. This is so you can clamp to the side rail faces as the picture shows. 2. The mft top should be a few mm's below the surface of my table saw. I also made it enough low so that if I fit it with stub legs to raise the wheels off the floor, it will still be slightly below the surface of the table saw. I think this ended up making the top just slightly higher than it was with the legs on it.
    • Value of this Oak Piece
      I can't see the end grain, but typically beams like that are cut from the center of the tree.  That will diminish the value because you can get fewer usable boards from it.  The pith of a tree is not stable. I typically pay <$2bd ft for air dried, sub FAS grade domestics, regardless of size.  
    • mad Dash
      And? You can't just leave is hanging like that man, not cool ! Where's the pictures ?! Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    • mad Dash
      I got a phone call on Wednesday from my barber, he said he had a client who wanted me to make a cigar box guitar for him, he has a box he wanted made out of, I said go on, would I be able to make one for him?  I said no problem, then he said the downside is it need to be done in two weeks, it is going to be a gift for his father, I said no problem, picked up that night, I have the neck glued up shaped and ready to be installed, today, Most times I take my time making CBG's  most time I will take up to six weeks, I was lucky that I had enough supplies for this one, except a sound hole cover, which is on order from Gitty,
    • Feet up
      Beer for breakfast keeps me looking young.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room