Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike M

Laminated Turnings - Glue Line Problem

3 posts in this topic

I've made a few bowls with laminated blanks and noticed a problem with the glue lines. I sanded the bowls to 600 grit and finished with either oil and wax or wiping varnish. The glue joints were smooth at first. After a couple of days I noticed that I could feel the transitions on the joints.

The wood has been in the house for several months so it is stable. The glue is TB-2 and was allowed to dry at least 24 hours in every case. The woods were various combinations of soft maple, cherry, hard curly maple and peruvian walnut.

im guessing its just because its colder outside and the wood has shrunk and since the wood is so smooth you can feel the seperations more easily. the wood shrinks but the glue does not.

Our laminated turner expert in my woodturner's club recommends that after glue up, you rough turn the item then set it on a shelf for several months before returning back to it to finish turning it. That will allow the glue lines to stabilize.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 81 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jim l
    Newest Member
    jim l

• Topics

• I can't give you any info on those particular models but the wave design is incredible.  I have a brother in law that has an early version and the sound was really something for the size.  Also I have had a Bose stereo in my family room since the late 80's and haven't had any problems with it.
    • I'm not familiar with this concept.  Please explain. 
    • wtnhighlander, I have some substantial background in drawing and painting and my father is an architect.  The spikes were INTENDED to provide support for the legs and prevent them from breaking during the drying process. I installed these prior to posting here and prior to learning that it probably was not helpful and might be harmful. .. Actually everything I have done so far on this project happened prior to posting here and all I have done since is pause and consider the various pieces of information I am being given.     
    • Here's the easiest way that I've found to clamp a miter joint: Use a large drop of medium CA to glue triangular blocks near the corner of your miter.  Apply glue liberally to the joint Clamp the ever lovin' crap out of it.  Enjoy  After the glue dries, saw the blocks off, then plane flush.  Don't be tempted to knock the blocks off with a hammer or a chisel. You will most likely tear out some wood.
    • Not sure if this has been posted before.http://www.folkstreams.net/?list=1 Theres a lot of Folk art and craftman woodworking. My favorite is the shovel maker. A complete 180 from fine wood working but interesting stuff.   Aj
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room