Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike M

Laminated Turnings - Glue Line Problem

3 posts in this topic

I've made a few bowls with laminated blanks and noticed a problem with the glue lines. I sanded the bowls to 600 grit and finished with either oil and wax or wiping varnish. The glue joints were smooth at first. After a couple of days I noticed that I could feel the transitions on the joints.

The wood has been in the house for several months so it is stable. The glue is TB-2 and was allowed to dry at least 24 hours in every case. The woods were various combinations of soft maple, cherry, hard curly maple and peruvian walnut.

im guessing its just because its colder outside and the wood has shrunk and since the wood is so smooth you can feel the seperations more easily. the wood shrinks but the glue does not.

Our laminated turner expert in my woodturner's club recommends that after glue up, you rough turn the item then set it on a shelf for several months before returning back to it to finish turning it. That will allow the glue lines to stabilize.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• What sealer/finish do I need?
      @KMay not sure where you are in the world but if you are in the US (but not California) or Canada General Finishes Arm R Seal satin or matt is really easy to apply and looks great. If you are in Europe you would be better using a waterbourne finish like General Finishes Enduro Var. You can't obtain ARS in Europe because of volatiles restrictions now unfortunately.
    • What sealer/finish do I need?
      I've finished walnut wall hangings with beeswax/mineral oil 1:1 and it looks great, but I'd be nervous about it on a table.  Still, if you're willing to reapply frequently it would probably be fine.  But if you want to be able to forget about it and not be careful with the table then you'll want something more durable and protective. 
    • basic sharpening
      +1 on the Veritas MKII as a honing guide. For chisels get the narrow blade attachment. For plane irons the regular MKII is fine. Waterstones or oilstones as an abrasive medium. You can even get a sheet of plate glass or slab of granite (as a waste cutoff from your local kitchen counter top) and glue various grades of sandpaper to it.
    • basic sharpening
      Get some wet/dry sandpaper and a piece of glass, granite, or tile that is big and flat.  I have a granite block I got from Woodcraft.  The sandpaper works better if you spray it down with some WD40.  This will get you started. Since starting that way I've found I really like Arkansas stones but there are a great many ways to go other than those.  For jigs I have an inexpensive eclipse style jig but primarily sharpen freehand after watching some Paul Sellers videos.  Once you get good at freehand you'll find it is faster than using a jig, too, but check for a square edge every now and then since it is easy to get a little off each time. 
    • Snow on the ground in Norm's yard (Season 2 Ep 13))
      On this weeks NYWS www.newyankee.com Norm shows how to build an entertainment center. It is basically an armoire or wardrobe that he makes out of cherry ply with a cherry solid wood face frame and solid raised panel doors. In somewhat of a departure from normal construction methods he shows how to produce doors with a shaper (called a spindle moulder in Europe). His demonstration is very interesting. If you wondered why Don Particleboard was in love with these you can see how easily they can be used to produce joints and panels. However a shaper is probably out of reach for most hobby shops - the basic rig is affordable but building up a selection of tooling will cost a fortune. Production shops though use these all the time. Norm also nails the heck out of the armoire with various gauges of nails and pins so there is still something familiar. A view through the New England windows shows a lot of white stuff on the ground and the shop door remains closed. On the website it is in relatively high quality (week commencing Feb 8th 2016). Below is a link to one recorded by somebody from the TV and uploaded to Youtube at lower quality.  
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting