other wood options

Other bendable woods include white oak, hickory, and ash for starters. Cherry can be convinced to bend well if the grain is good, walnut is a bit brittle and may need some more persuasion.

In addition, the more common name for Philippine Mahogany is Luaun or Meranti. You may try searching under those names as well. Philippine Mahogany is not a true Mahogany, just a substitute wood that has some of the characteristics of the good stuff. "Often imitated, but never copied"

I hope that helps.

I may be wrong,(happens a lot)but it seems to me that a species called "Tupelo" is a wood that works well for this application. It is form the south, common in Alabama, Louisiana, costal Texas, Mississippi. I believe it is a relative of Cypress.

Tupelo wouldn't bee to bad for this. Another option is African Mahogany. It's mainly what you get when you purchase Mahogany mainstream. The Asian subspecies aren't always available around here in board form. Sheetgoods seem to be more popular. Hickory, Ash, and White oak would work beautifully, BUT try to get all quarter or rift sawn of these hardwoods because it will bend and look so much better than plain sawn ever will.