"crawling" finish

Sam Ames

I am varnishing (with polyurethane) a table top. I have done many like this before but never encountered this problem. I applied two thin coats of clear gloss poly to the wood (nicer grade Birch plywood) before applying a colored varnish coat. The first color coat showed these signs of no adhesion or "crawling" in a few spots. Couple thoughts...

1. I did not clean or neutralize the tops prior to applying the poly....oils, dirt? Perhaps applying a wax free shellac to seal

2. Could I sand it down with 400 a bit, apply some shellac then re-try the poly?

Thx for any advice....2 other tops from the same stock did not have this issue and both were prepared the same way.

Surface contamination is more than likely your issue. Scuff the top down with 400 to 600 sand paper. Wash the wood good with naphtha.

Another cause, products not being compatible. You mentioned a "colored" varnish. Did you add the color to the varnish? If so, was the colorant mixed at the proper ratios? Meaning, if you add too much color, sometimes you can change the properties of the finish "recipe" causing you finishing issues.

-Ace-