Brace Bits

dinkjs

So a neighbor gave me some brace bits....I went out and bought a brace for these bits....I am not to familiar with using these....basically teaching myself the proper technique of boring...while watching some videos online and podcasts

Now I sorta understand the sizing on these...basically from a 1 to 16....each number is recognized as a 16th

My neighbor gave me 6 and also a really awesome one with a adjustable chuck to fit standard bits....someone told me these things are rare and can go for up to like $20

The sizes I have are #4 (1/4"), #6 (3/8"), #8 (1/2"), #12 (3/4"), #16( 1" ), and a adjustable brace bit that goes up to 2 1/2"

Here is my problem or situation....when it comes to certain things (thank goodness for OCD and other problems in my life) that I get really into or really interested in I have to have complete sets or enough to make my brain think I have completed a set.

So I need to add to this...so 1) they are a option to use and 2) to also allow me to not be stressed about it

Are the sizes I am missing readily available to get?

This problem and or situation also pertains to my handplanes....my western ones are Sargents....I am on a hunt to have strictly Sargent hand planes....dont know why....I just want Sargent handplanes....

You have two choices, really.

First is to troll eBay or your favorite used hand tool source for a complete set, and then sell the ones you currently have. You could conceivably buy individual used brace bits in the sizes you are missing, but that may take a while. Search eBay for "Jennings auger bit" or "Swan auger bit".

The other option is that there are some places that still sell new brace bits that will round out your set. Traditional Woodworker is one source. Tools for Working Wood is another. But if your OCD in this regard is anything like mine, you'll want all the sizes and the manufacturers to match as well, so you're probably back to getting a complete set. ;)

If you are talking about the brace and bits that I used to use when I was a kid, look to the larger flea markets. I have put together a verv nice set from those venues. Occasionally they can be found in set in antique stores and the weekend garage sale. I have a set in a hand made box that are still in the original polish, and still very sharp. 6 bits and box, $5.00, certainly worth the stop. I enjoy cleaning up the older tools, most only need a little TLC to be functional. Most of the time the bits are not in great shape, a patina of rust and sometimes one will be bent. The other bits, when polished on a cloth buffer wheel, are very functional. The trick is to get the proper stone or file to sharpen the nibs and plow.