Cyclone modification to a Delta 50-866 type 2

lelandschultz

Anyone have any ideas or experience converting a Delta 50-866 type 2 DC to use a cyclone?  I am also going to modify it for Wynn filter instead of the bags....

Pics of this can be seen at http://www.toolpartspro.com/delta-parts/delta-50-866-type-2-parts.html

I have the change to buy this complete or w/o the stand and build my own - which may work better as I want to do the modifications.

I haven't seen anyone who had done a cyclone with this large of a unit.

Any suggestions on where I could get a metal cyclone that would work?

Thanks...Leland

It doesn't say what size the impeller is, but the 5 hp motor is the same as what clearvue uses or the larger units from oneida and others.  You can buy just the cyclone from clearvue but I'm not sure where you could get a metal one.  Grizzly lists individual parts you can buy but at a huge mark up.  You also can cycloine plans from Bill Pentz's website and build your own or have it made locally.

I am actually trying to find the specs on this also as I couldn't find any online...may take more detailed research.  Anyone here have an idea?

If I buy the one from Clearvue, will it stand up to the CFM's as to what I can tell this unit is much higher than the clearvue..just questions from someone doing their first "real" DC.

Leland

I'm not an expert on the subject, but every fan has a performance curve based on air pressure.  The Delta is probably designed for lower pressure systems where it can deliver a lot more CFMs than a typical cyclone could do.  So the clearvue cyclone might be too restrictive for it and you might not get great performance out of it even though the motor is the same size.  I could be completely wrong.  The CVmax would probably be the best bet, which clearvue pairs with their 16" impeller.  Even the regular clearvue is kind of overkill for most shops though.

I'm assuming you can get a killer deal on it?  By the time you buy the cyclone body and filters you're already half way to the cost of just buying the clearvue and being done with it.