Steamer Trunk Hardware Help Needed

jrh0558

Looks like it's maybe just the point on the corner hitting the inside of the hardware? If that's what's happening, you probably just need to slice off the corner to round it off a bit. Make a test corner in some scrap and try it first! Don't want to ruin all that beautiful joinery.

I know some of the Rocklers have display pieces set up. I don't know if you got yours locally or on the net, but if there's a store near you, maybe bring in the hardware (and a sample corner if you want) and compare it to theirs or ask them how it's supposed to fit.

From what I can see on the Rockler site and reading the single review there, it looks like these work better with radiused corners. All your corners are 90 degree. that extra bit of width on each of the edges may make it not fit correctly. If you want to keep the sharp corners, these may be better:

sharp-edge trunk corners

If I'm not explaining the difference well, I can elaborate.

Interestingly, these are also from Rockler, just through the Amazon store, so maybe you can get your money back on the others and they can order the right ones for you. If you do go through Amazon, don't forget to use the Wood Whisperer link. Hmm, I wonder if that gives both TWW and Rockler some kind of reward...