looking for another sander

don reilly

I received sad news about my 503 belt sander by Porter Cable I took it in for service today to get a new cord, and a check the oil and so forth, I received a call from the service mechanic at Battles and was told the brass gear needs to be replaced and parts are hard to come by according to him. so who can tell or direct me to a web site where I can buy a old used one for parts.It's a Porter Cable 503. Type 1.

any help will be appreaceated. I love this sander even though it weighs 30 lbs. :(

thanks ahead.

Don

I received sad news about my 503 belt sander by Porter Cable I took it in for service today to get a new cord, and a check the oil and so forth, I received a call from the service mechanic at Battles and was told the brass gear needs to be replaced and parts are hard to come by according to him. so who can tell or direct me to a web site where I can buy a old used one for parts.It's a Porter Cable 503. Type 1.

any help will be appreaceated. I love this sander even though it weighs 30 lbs. :(

thanks ahead.

Don

I pass the following information along without any guarantee regarding the accuracy of the information, so please check the following explanation to determine if it is what you’re looking for.

You can go to this site (Sears Parts), and there is a part 31A in the list (not the small list window at the top but below that). Just scroll down and click on “Gear”. This will take you to the price and availability page here. When I checked, it says in stock. Price is $20.21. However, back on the previous page in the list, it says “Manufacturer authorized substitution: D803626 may differ in appearance, but is a functional equivalent to prior parts including 803626”.

Now I need to explain where I got the information on the worm gear since Sears does not show a picture of the part or even says what it is other than a gear. In the next paragraph , I explain another source I found before Sears, that shows a picture of the part (looks like a worm gear) and the fact that it will fit the Type 1 model.

If you check here, you’ll see a brass gear listed (item 31A). Item 31A says “brass gear”. The picture shows that It’s a worm gear. The price is $28.40 and says it takes 1 to 2 weeks to ship. When I click on the diagram for part 31A it pops up a message that says “Please contact us for availability at 1-866-802-6393”, so it’s not sure if they have one or not without making a call. It may be the original manufactures gear, but it’s not certain. A phone call may answer that question.

I pass the following information along without any guarantee regarding the accuracy of the information, so please check the following explanation to determine if it is what you’re looking for.

You can go to this site (Sears Parts), and there is a part 31A in the list (not the small list window at the top but below that). Just scroll down and click on “Gear”. This will take you to the price and availability page here. When I checked, it says in stock. Price is $20.21. However, back on the previous page in the list, it says “Manufacturer authorized substitution: D803626 may differ in appearance, but is a functional equivalent to prior parts including 803626”.

Now I need to explain where I got the information on the worm gear since Sears does not show a picture of the part or even says what it is other than a gear. In the next paragraph , I explain another source I found before Sears, that shows a picture of the part (looks like a worm gear) and the fact that it will fit the Type 1 model.

If you check here, you’ll see a brass gear listed (item 31A). Item 31A says “brass gear”. The picture shows that It’s a worm gear. The price is $28.40 and says it takes 1 to 2 weeks to ship. When I click on the diagram for part 31A it pops up a message that says “Please contact us for availability at 1-866-802-6393”, so it’s not sure if they have one or not without making a call. It may be the original manufactures gear, but it’s not certain. A phone call may answer that question.

Thanks for the information.

I have downloaded the PDF files and prices, I hopr that Sears still has the parts available. anything is worth a try.

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 76 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    walo47
    Newest Member
    walo47