question about custom cabinet install

fyrman38

Hello, Quick question for you guys? Building a custom entertainment cabinet to be built in inside of this huge niche in the wall in a family room. The cabinet is about 8'X4' and there is only a clearance of about a 1/4" on each side between the wall and cabinet on every side less from ceiling to cabinet. It fits like a glove. Question is should i anchor it to the wall? Is there a standard for this type of cabinet or is it a "use your common sense" deal? Appreciate all the help. Thanks

Is it stable? Can you grab the front and shake it like a salt shaker but not have it move? If not, I might anchor it in two places in the back. If it hardly moves and it is empty, I wouldn't bother as it will be heavier when you load it up with electronic goodies.

well it weighs about 200+ lbs. on its own and i cant shake even if i tryed. I think its going to be quite fine with out anchoring it to the wall. I live out in California and i was worried that in the event of an earthquake it could fall out of there but it fits to snugly in there. It can't tip forward or anything. Thanks for the pep talk boss. Thats just what i needed.

Damian

Guess it all depends on how you feel about seeing your expensive electronics face down on the floor. =)

Me personally.. I prefer to anchor cabinetry that is going to hold expensive stuff. It would be one thing if you needed to get behind the unit on a regular basis.

You could always do like a mating connector on the wall and unit at the top as well. Something that has like a dowel going through the piece on the wall and the cabinet to lock it in place... then if you want to move the cabinet just pull the dowel and move the unit.

Oh, California. That's a bit different! The couple screws on either side into the stud behind them is warranted for California. Odds are an earthquake strong enough to dump your electronics is also strong enough to possibly dump the cabinet over.

So sorry, I change my reply with this tidbit of info. :)

Oh, California. That's a bit different! The couple screws on either side into the stud behind them is warranted for California. Odds are an earthquake strong enough to dump your electronics is also strong enough to possibly dump the cabinet over.

So sorry, I change my reply with this tidbit of info. :)

Dito, bolt it up to the wall! After Northridge everything is bolted!

Thank you fellas. Good advice. after putting the cabinet in i decided anchor it in to. I used heavy duty levelers i put to wedge the cabinet between the cieling and floor and anchored to studs in the rear. Thanks fellas. any critique on the cabinet is much appreciated. The bad and the good. Still making the bottom doors but here it is.

Damian