Walnut

Tbeaulieu

I hate to ask a stupid,no right answer question,but...

I'm thinking of using walnut for this project.i love walnut and just picked up some up at $3 bd ft,which is cheap here.

Would like to hear general thoughts,as well as suggestions for the plugs. Something light colored? Maple good enough?

thank you!

Thanks for your thoughts all. I think I'm getting ahead of myself and will deal with this when I get there. I've never bought specialty wood like that, so I can mull it over and see what they have.

Marc, you're killing me. I stumbled across another person asking about walnut and you told him ebony wouldn't contrast enough. Are you suffering from split personality? ;)

post-2771-0-19649300-1379427101_thumb.jppost-2771-0-19649300-1379427101_thumb.jp

Ebony would look good with walnut and is the "rule" for G&G.  however, don't be afraid to break the rules. 

One idea that comes to mind is butternut.  It is in the same family as walnut, similar grain, but is quite a few shades lighter.  Once finished, it will have a similar tone but several shades lighter.  It could give you a cool "monochromatic" effect, but not at all in a cheasy way.  It would be a bit more understated.  

Why not make a test board with a few different contrasting plugs and see what you like most?  if all else fails then you can go back to Ebony or something dyed black.

(It might be sacriligous to say in the G&G build forum, but personally I think ebony looks like really expensive plastic :).   There, I said it).

Ha ha, that's funny.

I've heard several people say the expensive plastic thing.

Even David Marks mentions that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAet8eDnNDM

Personally, I love Ebony. I like to work it into designs it has no place being. Take a look at my Roubo. I have it calling for your attention at each of the 4 dovetails. I have it as the top of the wagon vise dog holder. I even having trimming around the walnut inlay in the cherry leg vise.

I use it everywhere I can. For Christmas and birthdays my family has come to expect that there will often be a bit of ebony highlighting some portion of the box I build them or the pen holder or what ever.

• 1 month later...

I'm half way through my plugs. I went with ebony. I've been thinking of the plastic look that people don't like and I came to a conclusion. Each wood has different traits, some good some not so good. If ebony buffs to a perfect smooth sheen, why not embrace that as a wonder of nature? This is the first time I've worked with ebony and I think the sheen is fantastic!