Table Top Thickness

Hey all,

I am building a desk and am at a crossroads on the top. I was planning on using Hard Maple for the piece but my supplier does not have 5/4 only 8/4 and 4/4. My question is for a 25"x72" deck top will a 46 in span will 4/4 be ok? It will mill to about 13/16 and I can add a skirt to the backside for support. I would rather not edge-band to keep a consistent look and do not want to use ply for the top. any ideas?

Rick

http://woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip01.html

Well according to the calculator a BOOKSHELF can span 36" with 13/16" hardwood. Considering a desk will not be asked to support this kind of weight, I can't imagine that 46" will be a risk. (especially considering the strength of maple) Your point about adding an apron will add strength is correct but you don't sound like you want one. If you wanted to keep the edges free of an apron, could you plunge rout a 3/4" wide groove 1/2" deep on the centerline/underside of the 46" span, turn a 2" wide piece of your maple (milled to 3/4") on edge and glue that in to the groove? Would add lots of strength to the span and keep the edges open.

Good luck on your project.

In all likelihood the top will be perfectly fine from a structural perspective. However, be aware that with longer lengths of 4/4 stock like this, it can often be difficult to even get it milled to 3/4" flat. You need to make sure you have extremely flat stock to begin with, or you may struggle to get that 13/16" you wanted. I would also echo the last post from Chester. What does your design call for? I'm thinking on a desk that size, a thicker top with a nice profile accent is probably what you're aiming for. That profile can be an absolute key design element, and if settling on 4/4 stock is going to limit your options, I think you're settling. Don't let your lumber supplier's stock limit your design. I would personally be inclined to look for other options (even online) or worst case buy the 8/4 stock and re-saw it.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I am building a desk and am at a crossroads on the top. I was planning on using Hard Maple for the piece but my supplier does not have 5/4 only 8/4 and 4/4. My question is for a 25"x72" deck top will a 46 in span will 4/4 be ok? It will mill to about 13/16 and I can add a skirt to the backside for support. I would rather not edge-band to keep a consistent look and do not want to use ply for the top. any ideas?

Rick

Who will be looking at the bottom of the desk, you will only need one side perfect, the other side can be not so perfect. Just mill enough wood to get one good side, I won't tell anyone.

Dave