New Oil Stones

Emmrys

I have chosen oil stones for my main sharpening method. I have finally gotten a new set of stones. So far all I have done is look at them and touch them. I am in the process of setting up a permanent place for them in the shop where they will always be at hand and ready to use.

I read somewhere (and can't find it now), that before use the stones need to be soaked for a day in oil. The reason given was to fill the pores of the stone and prevent metal from getting into the stone. The oil used during sharpening would then be able to float metal bits away.

Is soaking a good idea? If so, do they need to be submerged or just coated? Maybe renewed a few times over 24 hours?

I too have just added oil to the top when needed, but so far I have only played with the finer grits. The coarser are probably different. I'd say just put one in a cheap plastic container, spread some oil on the surface, and see what happens. Just keep adding a bit at a time until you end up with a film on the top. That way you can see how much they leak and how they act.

You'll most likely want to at least make some kind of stand to contain the mess. Mostly I just use a piece of old, chewed up plywood about a foot square and put the stone in the middle, but you may want to make something a bit fancier.

Jimmy.....I was concerned about getting too much oil in the stone and regretting it later.

Josh....Good to see you again. I did get the diamond stone too as you suggested back on the old forum. I am getting close to starting off on the adventure of sharpening.

Mechanologist.....They are in boxes with lids. I have been considering some wort of board with recesses to fit them in and use the box lids to cover them. Then if they get too messy it would be easy to remake the base.

Thanks for such quick and useful answers.

Emmrys,

Good to see you made it over to the new forum. I am a bit surprised that Larry hasn't chimed in yet. He is the oil stone guru of course.

I seem to recall that at least the Norton India stones come pre-oiled. However, I have only been able to find this on other sites (blade forum) and can't confirm it on Norton's site. I would just give them a spritz of oil to start.

I really want to build a small dedicated sharpening area. Currently I have it set up on a my old Black and Decker workmate. However, this is also my grinder stand, saw sharpening location, etc... Basically I do all my metal working in one location so that it doesn't contaminate my wood projects. I have a small plan for a 6' bench with a dedicate section for each of these tasks and ample storage. Plus it would be about waist high to make it easy to stand-up and do the work. I think I might use pine or tulip (poplar) for the bench to make it cheap.

Best of luck