Help me with my #5 1/4

Juicegoose

So a friend gave me a #5 1/4 that he had never used but it was in need of some work. The orignal frog had the chip breaker holddown screw stripped out. A while back a kind hearted guy sent me a replacement frog that was flat instead of the newer style that has recesses in it but it won't fit all the way. It seems that at the front of the frog there is a split for a piece of metal to fit in between that is on the mouth opening. Both frogs have this split but the replacement one just isn't wide enough. other then this issue the frogs look identical. could i simply file down the split a little bit or should i hunt for a differnt frog. Also the rear handle seems to be not original as when the frog is installed the lateral adjuster hits the top of the handle. The front tote seems to be that plastic junk but the rear handle is wood. Any suggestions? Could or should I take the original tote and put a helicoil in the cap screw or should i modify the other frog that was sent to me. I've taken some pictures in hopes that maybe someone can help. Also would is jsut be better to sell the 5 1/4 as the price I'd have to invest wouldn't be worth it.post-1842-048784500 1286372302_thumb.jpgpost-1842-036986300 1286372307_thumb.jpgpost-1842-000941000 1286372312_thumb.jpg

ok here's what you need to do first of all find out what make of plane it is and type it so you can find a part of the same years the sole was made. my guess is the frog isn't even of the same manufacturer and definitely not the same year. filing it down might only result in a poorly seated frog. if you need help with who made the plane or the type post some pictures of the plane and all its original parts. we can generally tell you what it is.

ps the front handle is the knob and the rear handle the tote.

That's funny about the split, because your plane's base casting seems to have the original rib design instead of the Y rib which was where the wider split in the frog came in.

I have the Miller's Falls equivalent of the junior jack and love it just for the novelty. The junior jacks have a cult following... mainly because they are so cute. They were based on the #3 and you should be able to change out a #3 frog easily with the #5 1/4. If the replacement frog that you have now is just slightly off, you can file the split a little, just be careful to file evenly and not to take too much off.

It sounds like the tote and knob were replaced at some point. A junior jack is simply a longer #3 so any #3 tote and knob would work fine.

since I find junior jacks so cute, I would find an old #3 to swap parts with and tune up the 5.25.

Based on the information/pictures, it's a Type 20(1962-1967), mainly distinguishable by the blue japanning and the pressed steel lever . Some feel that they are somewhat inferior to the types prior to that and I would tend to agree. That being said I'm sure it can be made useful. If it was me, I'd try to get my money back out of it and look for an older type.

On The #3 with the busted screw. I've had success drilling them out starting with a small bit and working my way slowly up to the size of the screw, stopping just short of the edge of the threads and then picking out the pieces with a tweezers. Either that or if there is enough of the screw sticking out above the threads, you can file/grind a small slot in it and try to turn it out with a screwdriver.

Ryan

I had a couple of parts for a #3 that I combined into a working plane. I had to file the little tabs on the frog to get it to fit. No problem. Very few planes are unique enough to justify collecting them. I have a type 2 604 bedrock that I use on an almost daily basis.