Adding and rounded edge to a project

Sac

I am designing a Greene and Greene mirror for the hall. It will be something that you will see as soon as you walk in the house. I have gotten the rough shape done with a few of the details started. I have attached a few pics so that you can see what I am working on. What I am wondering is, what do I need to do to apply that rounded edge that you see in all the G&G pieces. Is there some sort of filter or something that can be done? I have tried several things and have had no luck. Also, how would you go about inserting the ebony accents to the places where they belong? I think that you can tell where they go. Please mind that the piece is not finished. I have only been working on it for a little while. Thanks for the help.

post-68-041675500 1286489856_thumb.jpg post-68-040273300 1286489857_thumb.jpg post-68-036233700 1286489858_thumb.jpg

I don't use sketchup, but when I model up a project, I don't really bother with the small radii on the edges of pieces unless I'm going to actually do a high-end render. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense for the amount of work it takes. So this is just a guess, but I would think that you would be able to select an edge and apply some kind of chamfer or bevel to the edge?

Also, if you're doing G&G, don't forget to make the stiles and rails different thicknesses. Everything at an intersection has to be in it's own plane so that you can do those round-overs. Right now it looks like you have them both the same thickness.

Also, if you're doing G&G, don't forget to make the stiles and rails different thicknesses. Everything at an intersection has to be in it's own plane so that you can do those round-overs. Right now it looks like you have them both the same thickness.

Thanks for the info. I think that I was planning to do that, I just forgot. But it is done now..

Sac,

I agree that you may not need that level of detail in your model, but that never stopped me before. You are going to want to use the follow-me tool. There is a great video on this tool at this link (scroll down to find the Follow me video)

http://sketchup.google.com/training/videos/new_to_gsu.html

For a simple roundover, you will want to make a 1/4 circle. I wouldn't use the arc tool here, it can get messy. Make a full circle of the correct diameter then move it into place on your corner and erase 3/4 of it once it sticks. Then follow-me with this face around the edge of your rails or stiles. Hopefully each rail or stile is a separate component so you can edit them separately.

Sorry this is so quick, I am on the road for work. PM me if you need help and I'll see what I can do when I get back home tomorrow.

It looks nice to me. Sometimes things look different when you get them done and installed. Have you "tried it out" where it will be. When I was building a table that had to fit just so in a particular spot I cut some large pieces of cardboard from a big box so I could actually feel how much space the table had and how much room the table left for getting in and out of the chairs. Since the mirror is going to be on the wall, you might blue tape the dimensions off on the wall where it will be hung to see if it is too big or too small.