Air Filter Positioning

Chuck Melton

I picked up a 1000cfm Jet air filtration unit and I am wondering about the importance of positioning it in my shop space.

My shop space is pretty darn small (10' x 30' with 8' ceilings) so the 1000CFM is about 3 times what I need. Power tool use all happens on one side of the space (a 10'x15' area) the rest of the space is mostly storage.

I've read that I should put it along one of the long walls, preferably with the exhaust pointing towards me most of the time. How crucial is the intake positioning? Is there a material difference between mounting it on the wall vs on the ceiling as long as it is high up?

I just installed mine last night.  Awkward to say the least to do alone where I wanted mine installed...

I installed mine between two car bays. The other bay is storage and gets the exhaust filtered air. The intake is on the shop side. It is forward of the power tools so at all the major dust generators, the filter is on the other side of the tool from my normal work position. Means it will always be circulating dusty air away from me.

The bays are separated by a small wall, which will allow the filter to generate a circulation around that wall and should work well at keeping fines far from me. Since you don't have such a wall, keeping the filter close to a wall so you can get a circulating flow going would be best.

I don't think the height is as crucial. Fines are fines and are suspended in the air; you just want them flowing into the filter. If the filter is too low, it has more hazard potential.  Center of my intake is at 7'.

I keep mine along one of the longest walls. The inlet is facing toward some higher dust creating machines and the exhaust faces my work space along that wall. I'm looking to purchase a second to place along the other long wall facing the other direction. Trying to get more circulation.