Would a curved bottom spoke shave help?

spwiz5578

I am planning on making turned handled pizza slicers and pizza "peels" (the things that slip under the pizza to get it out of the oven) for Christmas presents this year. The peel has outside radii which shouldn't pose much problem smoothing, but where the handle meets the rest of the board there will be an inside radius. I was considering purchasing a curved bottom spoke shave to help smooth this area. Any thoughts? It will be a rather tight (about 1/2") radius so I'm not sure if it will even help.

Thanks for your comments,

Sean

I am planning on making turned handled pizza slicers and pizza "peels" (the things that slip under the pizza to get it out of the oven) for Christmas presents this year. The peel has outside radii which shouldn't pose much problem smoothing, but where the handle meets the rest of the board there will be an inside radius. I was considering purchasing a curved bottom spoke shave to help smooth this area. Any thoughts? It will be a rather tight (about 1/2") radius so I'm not sure if it will even help.

Thanks for your comments,

Sean

I've only got a straight spokeshave, but a full set is on the PO list. I think a 1/2" radius is way too small for even a curved bottom shave. Rifflers and files!!

I've only got a straight spokeshave, but a full set is on the PO list. I think a 1/2" radius is way too small for even a curved bottom shave. Rifflers and files!!

Thanks, Vic. That sounds about right. I guess I had a bit of new tool lust. Of course, I don't have many files, so maybe I should invest in some nice hand made rasps :)

Inch diameter sanding sleeve on an oscillating spindle sander (OSS) would also finesse that in no time. Without that, use a 1" diameter hole saw on your drill to get close then wrap sandpaper on a 1" diameter dowel, PVC pipe, or conduit. At least none of my spokeshaves could do it but then I'm not noted for hand tools :unsure:

Inch diameter sanding sleeve on an oscillating spindle sander (OSS) would also finesse that in no time. Without that, use a 1" diameter hole saw on your drill to get close then wrap sandpaper on a 1" diameter dowel, PVC pipe, or conduit. At least none of my spokeshaves could do it but then I'm not noted for hand tools :unsure:

Says the man with the Bridge City Beading Plane!!!