Finishing with Linseed Oil

cmoored

Good Afternoon All!
I have ahead of me a task of staining and finishing a few unfinished pieces of pine furniture. I am a newbie at staining and finishing so I have some questions that way I can do it right the first time. 
First I want to stain the wood with a cherry stain(minwax). 
Should I use a pre-stain?

After the stain dries and I get the desired color, I wanted to finish it with Linseed oil. Should I sand the stain before applying the boiled linseed oil?
But my I want the finish to be more protective. Can I apply polyurethane over the boiled linseed oil?

These pieces of furniture are being used for a computer desk, so I would like it to be able to handle possibly putting drinks on top without having to worry about rings.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Danielle

Based on my experince with pine, using a wood conditioner or thinned shellac to keep the stain from blotching is a good idea. Sanding to a higher grit helps as well. As for finishing with linseed oil, if you are going to put poly over it anyway, I would go that route to start. Keep in mind that you can mix oil and poly if you like that 'close to the wood' look.

==>3)Linseed Oil

If you want to use an oil as the carrier for the stain, I get it... For Maple and a dye, not Pine and a stain...

Skip the oil.

==>1)Pre-Stain(wood conditioner)

To avoid blotch-central, double-down on the wood conditioner. I'd suggest two coats of Charles Neil's Blotch Control...