Turning finishs

woodencamper

Any wax finish will simply not last much longer then the time it take you to walk from the shop to the house. :angry: I know, it stinks.

The best finish I've found is CA glue. I use it on all my pens/pencils/bottle stoppers/etc. Pretty much all small things. It always seems most small things that come off a lathe are handled a lot. The CA finish is more or less an acrylic finish. Very hard, very durable, and shines like new money.

It's a tricky process that takes time to master, but once you do, it can't be beat IMO. A little tip, if you give it a stab, you'll be tempted to leave the towel on the piece longer than you should. Don't do it. The glue will set and make a mess of everything. Oh, and use paper towels. When you leave it on for that extra split second, and the glue sets, instead of grabbing your fingers and pinching them between the bed, the paper towel will rip and save your digits. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Any wax finish will simply not last much longer then the time it take you to walk from the shop to the house. :angry: I know, it stinks.

The best finish I've found is CA glue. I use it on all my pens/pencils/bottle stoppers/etc. Pretty much all small things. It always seems most small things that come off a lathe are handled a lot. The CA finish is more or less an acrylic finish. Very hard, very durable, and shines like new money.

It's a tricky process that takes time to master, but once you do, it can't be beat IMO. A little tip, if you give it a stab, you'll be tempted to leave the towel on the piece longer than you should. Don't do it. The glue will set and make a mess of everything. Oh, and use paper towels. When you leave it on for that extra split second, and the glue sets, instead of grabbing your fingers and pinching them between the bed, the paper towel will rip and save your digits. ;)

I dunno... I actually still prefer the wax finishes. I find that over time they build more character from interacting with the oils in most people's skin. But... that's me... I am not a fan of shiny wood. =)

Of the turned calls that I have made I have used friction polish and they have held up just fine. I typically use multiple coats.