Stanley #80

Ben H

Just got my new (old) #80 in today. I'm trying to form a plan of attack on the restoration. Any of you fine chaps got one of these things in fine working order that could answer a few questions for me?

The sole: is it dead flat from front to back, or does it curve slightly at front of the plane? Mine is pretty rough, so it's hard to tell from the rust.

Something else that I'm tossing around. I'm gonna have to purchase a new blade for the #80. I've been thinking about a HOCK, no doubt they are top notch. But they are also $25.00. While the Veritas blade is $5. I don't mind paying the extra $$$ if it is something I'll benefit from in the long run.

Anyone got any input on the Hock vs Veritas. Logic would state 5 vertias over one Hock any day of the week. Unless the Veritas blade is nothing more than another stock Stanley blade. :unsure:

Something else that I'm tossing around. I'm gonna have to purchase a new blade for the #80. I've been thinking about a HOCK, no doubt they are top notch. But they are also $25.00. While the Veritas blade is $5. I don't mind paying the extra $$$ if it is something I'll benefit from in the long run.

Anyone got any input on the Hock vs Veritas. Logic would state 5 vertias over one Hock any day of the week. Unless the Veritas blade is nothing more than another stock Stanley blade. :unsure:

I just bought the five Veritas blades..they hold a good edge. I just used my to scrape the plastic resin glue off two sets of bent laminated legs. It made it through with one touch up on me diamond stones. When I finally got down to just wood, it was pulling nice curls.

I just bought the five Veritas blades..they hold a good edge. I just used my to scrape the plastic resin glue off two sets of bent laminated legs. It made it through with one touch up on me diamond stones. When I finally got down to just wood, it was pulling nice curls.

Good info. I've finished working on the blade, and I don't think it's really salvageable. It only holds a thick burr which I think I curled over too far. It will only grab on the roughest of boards and just slides over moderately smoothed boards. :(