Twin Screw Vise

jphillips97

I am thinking about replacing my vise with the veritas twin screw vise and have a few questions for the group. If I do not buy the twin screw vise I would still add a second vise with about an 18 in spread to give me twin screw capability.

How much lip do you need on your workbench to install the veritas twin screw vise? How hard is the install? Underside pictures would be good. Does the wood jaw being cross grain with the bench cause any problems? I assume no since it is done all the time.

Any other insight is welcome

Thanks

James

• 3 weeks later...

By lip I assume you mean apron on the front. I have mine on my bench which has no apron and is 2 3/4 thick. I just installed blocks that extend down from the underside like an apron and the screws pass through them. The top and block combined is about 7 inches but i think you can get away with a 6 inch apron.

The install is fairly straightforward if you are at all handy and the detailed instructions definitly help. As for cross grain interactions, there should be none of that because the grain of the chop should be paralell with the grain in your benchtop

Once tuned up it is a an absolute pleasure to use and miles ahead of a traditional single screw.

I think Veritas has the instructions on the web site down there where it tells the price, so you can read up and see what's necessary. You may also want to consider this new twin-screw vise that has the added capability of being a rapid-action vise. It's a bit pricey, but if you're considering the Veritas, you may want to give this one a look. It was in Pop Woodworking recently.

www.hovartercustomvise.com

There's a video somewhere. It's quite novel and seems quite sturdy. They also have instructions on their site. I'm thinking about one or the other as an end vise. May as well do it right the first time and get the best I can afford.

I am thinking about replacing my vise with the veritas twin screw vise and have a few questions for the group. If I do not buy the twin screw vise I would still add a second vise with about an 18 in spread to give me twin screw capability.

How much lip do you need on your workbench to install the veritas twin screw vise? How hard is the install? Underside pictures would be good. Does the wood jaw being cross grain with the bench cause any problems? I assume no since it is done all the time.

Any other insight is welcome

Thanks

James

James,

My veritas twin screw (like so much of my bench hardware) is unfortunately still in the box, under my current, crappy bench.

That said I would strongly recommend you do what I did and download the installation & use instructions from Lee Valley before you buy. They're on the purchase page, down in the pricing area.

Good luck with the vise,

Dyami

• 4 weeks later...

The current issue of Popular Woodworking has an article about Moxon's twin screw vice by Christopher Schwarz. I had an Ah-Ha moment because my workbench was designed to be portable so weight is an issue with a regular vise. Moxon's vice is removeable,and it's my price range too.

• 2 weeks later...

The current issue of Popular Woodworking has an article about Moxon's twin screw vice by Christopher Schwarz. I had an Ah-Ha moment because my workbench was designed to be portable so weight is an issue with a regular vise. Moxon's vice is removeable,and it's my price range too.

I second the Moxon twin screw vise. You can get the tap and die set from Highland Hardware. I've got the set, but haven't had time in the shop just yet.

WoodTinker