The Sander of Choice

mzingali

Now that I know I need to find a good jointer and planer, I have the next piece of equipement to ask about...the Sander.

If you could only get one sanding machine for the shop, would it be a drum sander, combo belt/disc sander, or something else?

Any votes on Jet/Grizzly/Ridgid/etc..? I'm new to all of these.

TIA!

Mike

The real answer is "It Depends"

My first choice would be a good random orbit sander with a good dust collection system.

Rigid makes a good combination oscillating belt spindle sander (Model # EB4424) that I use a lot. It seems to me a better deal than a combination belt and disk sander but I assume that is a matter of preference.

I wish I had the room and also budget for a drum sander.

Domer

I have an old Craftsman combination belt and disk stationary sander that works for the things I do. I made my drum sander from a 1/2 hp furnace fan motor. It had three speeds, and with various grits on the drums, it too works well. It ain't beautiful, but it works.

If you could pick only one, then it would have to be a hand-held ROS. You need to follow up a drum sander with a ROS unless you like the straight grooves it leaves (the scratches are linear, not 'random'). A belt/disc is great for shaping as is an OSS, but neither works for sanding the face of a rail/stile. A desert-island choice would be a ROS; if I could choose which, a Rotex-125 since it has a disc mode, too.

I'd vote for all 3. But that's in an ideal world. And it also depends on what you create. Items with curves are better with the spindle sanders, oscillating or not. (I like the concept of the adapter for the drill press, myself.) But if you do a lot panel work, the drum sander will be a great first step.

(So will a #7 plane, for that matter. And you avoid the power cord issues.)

which, by default, leaves the ROS. And, while I have a quarter sheet sander already, I'm still paying on an ROS that I'd really rather have. And I still plan on using both. I plan on the quarter sheet being the first step in sanding, and following up with the ROS once I hit 220 grit. I haven't yet learned how to use the card scrapers I picked up, but I'd like to.

If you're going to do any metal work at all, I would recommend the combination belt/disc sander. Otherwise, i'd ignore it altogether and build a stationary holder for your palm sander if you want that disc sander feature.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm very new at woodworking. I never really used a plane before so that kinda new for me. I have a little 16 month old daugther that is ....well..'remodeling' our house..lol. We've had a little 20 gallon fish tank in her room since she was born...but now that she's walking around..banging on things,opening everthing, I need to move the tank. So I set out to make a heavy, sturdy stand. I found some plans for a 4x4 stand and used my miter saw to cut all the pieces to the lengths I need. I used Forestner drill bits to make nice recessed holes for the heads of the lag bolts to rest in. This way, I can use some type of veneer to cover the 4x4s...maybe make it decorative.

I was asking about a sander because i realized that even though I used my miter saw to make nice straight cuts throught the 4x4 pieces, the vertical pieces don't sit flush with the bottom horizontal piece. This stand is basically a rectangular box so all the angles are 90 degrees.

What or how can i get the cut ends flush with the sides of the 4x4s? The 4x4s were just bought at HD and cut on the miter saw. I don't have any jointer, planer, or sander yet.

TIA

Mike

I don't know if I would point my finger at the miter saw. Your 4X4s are probably not straight.

I am new to this hobby too and have come to the conclusion that until I get better... some stuff is going to need wood putty and paint.

I almost went crazy trying to make perfect picture frames. I'll get them right one day. I made three. The first two need to be painted. The second I might be able to stain.

As with any skill it takes time to learn. Take your time, have fun and one day something will be perfect. Until then... fill and paint.