Get the white out

NYHump

Hi All,

Ok, I have finished some of my jewelry boxes. 4 coats of shellac then sanded with 220 grit sandpaper and then hand rubbed wax with 0000 steel wool. I like the grain on the wood but now when the wax dries it leaves streaks of white that are in the grain. It shows up more on the Wenge, and the Padauk more then others (so far) Is there any way to get rid of the white that wont affect the shellac and wax?

Thanks,

NYHump

So you are applying the wax with the steel wool? If so, you are probably creating tiny scratches that allow the wax to set in and can't get out.

What I've always done with shellac is finish sand, then wet sand with 0000 steel wool. Yes, dip the steel wool in a bucket of water and wet sand like you are detailing a car. Make sure to wipe the piece off every so often and keep it clean. You'll know you're done when the whole piece will look hazy. Then apply your wax with an old t-shirt. The wood will shine like new money.

Yeah, Ben H is right.

When you get white streaks or spots is due to wax getting into the pores of the wood. Very ugly. Make sure you get a good couple coats of shellac over the wood first and level those out. And again as stated above, use a cotton rag. In fact, here's a cool tick:

Cut a non lint cotton rag into a 4x4 square. Dip that into your wax and scoop a wad into the middle of the rag. Pull the corners together to form a tight ball at the bottom. You now have a wax applicator. Rub with the grain and gently squeeze it to get more wax out.

Furniture wax is different from car wax. So, you need to buff out immediately with a clean rag. If you wait until it gets hazy it becomes terribly difficult to buff evenly.

If you want a really nice surface afterwards, do a final buff with a brown paper bag.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well, I guess I didn't get my point across.

I like the look of the grain of the wood and don't want to "level it out" I have 4 coats of shellac on the project now. The steel wool didn't create the scratches it's the wood grain itself. If there is no other way to get the white out left by the wax in the pours of the wood I guess I'll have to sand it down again and start over which I really don't want to do, and not the look I was hoping for. Are there any colored waxes? Maybe some way to tint the wax so it blends with the color of the wood?

Thanks to all who responed to my post.

NYHump