Which tool next

rdwsdw1

The wife has just told me that we have a bit more money this month than we expected and that I could spend some on some tools for my shop. I already have a table saw, drill press, router, jig saw, circular saw, miter saw, and some various hand tools including block plane and a number 5 jack plane. I have the next several days off and I plan to start construction on a router table. Where I am stuck is trying to decide between a jointer or a band saw. I have about 400.00 to spend and I figure my next major purchase should be either a band saw or a jointer but if there is some other essential tool that might be a better idea then I would love to hear them as well.

For general woodworking, I'd think a jointer is essential (unless you are in the neanderthal group, i.e., lots of hand plane work). But that tends to be used in combination with a power planer. I wouldn't bother going cheap on a jointer. Six-inch is used by many (including myself), but you want a nice long bed. Cost of PowerMatic is quite a bit north of your $400. Maybe Grizzly has something closre to that price.

If you are more interested in shaping and cutting lots of curves and free form designs, a band saw might actually be more useful. Once again I'd not be fond of bench top models. Seems if you use it enough to be worthwhile, you'd soon wish you had larger model (14 inch or so). There are folks where the band saw is the primary tool they use. For others it is more secondary to table saw, jointer, planer machines.

Lots depends upon type of work you'll be doing. I hate buying low end and then buying up in a few years, so I'm more likely to wait if my budget can't handle the tool I really want. There are lots of ways around lack of specific tools, especially if it is a hobby. Or if you're clever as all get out. Unless you're super band saw guy, you still need to do some cleanup. So for a few occasional curves you can use the jig saw you already have (get some nice blades, they're cheap). Milling large boards can be done by hand, but jointer sure is nice to have.

Have fun.

The wife has just told me that we have a bit more money this month than we expected and that I could spend some on some tools for my shop. I already have a table saw, drill press, router, jig saw, circular saw, miter saw, and some various hand tools including block plane and a number 5 jack plane. I have the next several days off and I plan to start construction on a router table. Where I am stuck is trying to decide between a jointer or a band saw. I have about 400.00 to spend and I figure my next major purchase should be either a band saw or a jointer but if there is some other essential tool that might be a better idea then I would love to hear them as well.

Well I suppose the answer depends on how you've been buying your lumber. Seems like it's already Surfaced for you? I would go with a jointer, then planer, then bansaw. Or skip the jointer and planer, buy your lumber surfaced and shoot for a bansaw. Anyway I would think $400 is tight for either tool, unless your in the 2nd hand market. So it's all about compromise.

I would spend at least $100 on some wood and try to build something. When you get stuck because you are missing a tool to complete the project, that is what you go buy. :) Buying tools for the sake of buying tools is awesome if you have spare money, but if you aren't going to use it you might be wasting space you could be using for something else you might actually need.

Well Ive decided to go with a jointer. I have gotten by just fine with a jigsaw to this point so I think a bandsaw can wait. Besides I have often purchased pre-milled lumber and found out when I got home it wasnt as flat as I had hoped. Thanks for the suggestion Cubsfan thats actually the jointer I have had my eye on. Unfortunately around here its not going for that price or I would pick one up. I am not in a hurry and I never spend money just because I can so I will wait until it, or something comparable, comes on sale and then pick one up.

Hit CL. You can get a decent planer AND a decent jointer for $400 total, or close to it. I got a Rigid planer and a Jet 6" jointer for $420 total. You might have to wait until the right deal comes along, but you should be able to get both. My planer is in near new condition, and the jointer is actually older, but in very good condition and I think the older ones are better than the newer ones (cast iron fence for example).