Hitachi C10FSH... Sliding Compound Miter Saw

AstroDave

Hey Guys are there any opinions on this saw.  I have an acquaintance that wants to sell it to me for $225.  From the online reviews it looks like a good saw.  I need a SCMS as i sold my non-sliding CMS last week.  Was going to get a Dewalt SCMS when this opportunity came up.  The is in excellent shape with a new Freud blade.

Don't know anything about this one but I have the Dewalt. Happy with it but......... You have to allow for the extra space needed in the back for the sliding action. Had I known this I would have gotten one that slides without making the foot print bigger.

Am I making sense? Lol

It looks like the C10FSH has great reviews and the more recent C10FSHPS has horrible reviews.  According to the reviewers, the FSH was made in Japan and the FSHPS is made in China.  You may want to verify that you're not about to buy the PS model.

If you look at the 1 star reviews on the FSH model you'll see that almost all of them are actually people that were duped into buying the FSHPS: http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-C10FSH-10-Inch-Sliding-Compound/product-reviews/B00007J8CH/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?sortBy=helpful&reviewerType=all_reviews&filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

And here you can see the reviews of the FSHPS from people who deliberately bought that model (2.5 stars):  http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-C10FSHPS-10-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B008SK7QP6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417590619&sr=8-1&keywords=C10FSHPS

• 2 months later...

I have had this saw for 11 years. I bought it because all the good trim guys were using it. I absolutely love it. It's been in the shop and on site and has held up well. Just used it to cut all my framing for a basement and then it will do all the trim. Only gripe is the room. Thinking of getting the Bosch articulating arm saw but have been using the table saw more and more for finer projects.

I have this saw in my shop for about 7 years and I have never had a problem. The only negative is the depth required behind the saw (I would like to place it closer to the wal)l. This has been a common problem with SCMS's until recently when the Kapex and Bosch saws hit the market.

I use it mostly for crosscutting hardwood and find the accuracy excellent. Make sure you have a quality blade designed for SCMS.

As I recall, I paid about $400 for my saw in 2007. I don't know the current price, but if it is in good shape, $225 sounds like a good buy

Thank Mike... I did pick it up and have been using it for awhile now and love it.  However the laser went out recently and I need to investigate how to fix that.  Also the depth issue is certainly a pain... Right now it sits on my bench but eventually I will build a dedicated mobile table for it.