Wood prep for latex paint?

Lawrence Brown

I have a shelf that I'm building out of birch ply for a client, and they want it painted with white latex. I know. It's not my favorite thing, but the customer is always right. They just happen to have a few gallons left from when they painted the walls and want it to match.

Oh, and the shelf is one of those thick "floating" designs, so it's basically a big cube with all sides mitered so there is no end grain to worry about, just the ply surface.

Anyway, anything special I need to do to the ply before putting on the paint? there will be a bit of filler here and there for voids and such, and obviously I don't want that or the grain to show through. Do I just use a basic primer, or perhaps shellac like in this thread, or is there another secret I should know. I'm guessing the shellac would still let the grain show, so layers of primer sanded until smooth is probably the answer but thought I'd ask the experts.

If primer is the way to go, any recommendations on particular brands and such?

I have gone the primer and sanding route. I worked very well. I then put two coats of paint, and then a coat of paste wax. It came out nice. I've heard you can put down a skim coat of joint compound before the primer. It acts like a pore filler, but I've never tried it.

Jonathan

================================

• 5 months later...