Holiday gift idea - personalized magnets

susieq4131

I realize these are a bit different from products usually posted here, but thought those with a scroll saw might be interested.

I have been making these for several years for family members. Grandparents and parents love these little items depicting their grandchildren and children. They can easily be made into ornaments by adding a small eye hook to the top of the product.

Took a few samples to work, and ended up with many people placing orders for the holiday season.

I take photos which are usually emailed to me and print them out on photo paper or you can scan a photo and print it out. I glue the picture to 1/4 inch poplar wood and using another piece of wood with a white paper on top of the finished photo (to protect the photo), clamp the pieces together until dry. I cut out the photo and then spray on a clear protective finish on the photo, sides and back, and let it dry. Next using the drill press, I drill a 3/4 inch hole on the back of the wood so the magnet is recessed, and glue the magnet in. Lightly sand the edges of the wood, as needed.

The tallest personalized magnets are 4 1/4 inches high. They can be in proportion to each other or all one size. They obviously could be made larger, if one desired.

SQ

post-1522-0-20232300-1289924615_thumb.jp

post-1522-0-57902000-1289924642_thumb.jp

So glad you like them! I always thought it would be cute to make them as ornaments (adding the small eye screw to the top. The family tree - in ornaments.

SQ

Does the scroll saw not tear the edges of the picture? How do you keep the picture edgessmooth after sanding?

Jeff

Does the scroll saw not tear the edges of the picture? How do you keep the picture edgessmooth after sanding?

Jeff

No, not with the correct blade. A # 4 or # 5 skip tooth will work fine. You will get a pretty clean edge using these blades plus you can move in and out of tight places with these smaller blades. Almost no sanding required. Let me know how it works for you.

Attached is an example of how smooth the cut edge is using the #5 skip tooth blade. For this example I used a piece of scrap from one of the magnets. Wood in this example is 1/4 in thick poplar which is what I use for the magnets. To recess the magnet, 1/4 in is about as thin as you would want to go.

SQ

post-1522-0-98728900-1289937228_thumb.jp

Very creative Nicely done. Glad I don't have a scroll saw or your project posts would have me trying all these neat projects instead of finishing my (never ending) to-do list of non-scroll work!

Thanks! The magnets are pretty quick and easy compared to some of my other projects.

No scroll saw???? You call that a shop? :D A scroll saw was the first tool I ever bought.

SQ