Selling large power tools

W1ngnu7_1628

I've sold tons of stuff on Craigslist, both tools and non tools and have been pretty successful at it. My method is don't put an email address and spell your phone number or use symbols that spam bots don't recognize. Never even bother answering calls or texts from out of area phone numbers and specify "local sale only" in the ad. If the item I'm selling is portable, I always meet at a place other than my house so I limit people that see my shop/house. If it's not portable I never give my address until the person is ready to come here and I've talked to them on the phone instead of just texting. Listing items on woodworking forums, even if it's a "must pickup" type of sale, increases the chances of finding an honest, serious buyer and obviously targets people that buy woodworking tools. Insist on cash, no PayPal or money orders or prepaid cards, etc and always in person at a place of your choosing.

Good luck.

That's a lot of good specific feedback.  Much appreciated.

I understand the premise of not answering non-local numbers, but remember not everyone that is local has a local number anymore.  My cell number is from when I was in high school, and I have moved several times.  I am not going to change my number or purchase a landline just to appease leery people on CL.

I've sold tons of stuff on Craigslist, both tools and non tools and have been pretty successful at it. My method is don't put an email address and spell your phone number or use symbols that spam bots don't recognize. Never even bother answering calls or texts from out of area phone numbers and specify "local sale only" in the ad. If the item I'm selling is portable, I always meet at a place other than my house so I limit people that see my shop/house. If it's not portable I never give my address until the person is ready to come here and I've talked to them on the phone instead of just texting. Listing items on woodworking forums, even if it's a "must pickup" type of sale, increases the chances of finding an honest, serious buyer and obviously targets people that buy woodworking tools. Insist on cash, no PayPal or money orders or prepaid cards, etc and always in person at a place of your choosing.

Good luck.

You don't have to spell your number out any longer, Craiglist now gives you the option to install any contact info you would like, you can go old meathod and only communicate through craigslist or add a tab that prospects can see what ever info you would like them to see. Unless it specifies no text I will text a person and ask them to call or what a good time to call is. As far as local only goes, if I look for wood stuff in my area code nothing worth buying comes up, I have sent a bike to Mexico and was paid to deliver a 67 chevelle to Missouri (600 miles) if someone has the money to buy something and they want it, there is no problem, the deal will get done, everything else is a waste of time

By "local" I meant if u live in GA then answering a call from a NY area code is most likely a waste of time. I've been the guy with an out of state area code and in the age of cell phones it's more common, but he wanted tips to increase the chance of finding a legitimate buyer and non legitimate buyers will usually have out of area codes. Also, I would never suggest it's a good idea for someone that's obviously new to selling or buying on CL do something risky like send anything to Mexico or deliver a car to another state.... that's just bad advice. I assume he will take my advice and mix it with some common sense and be fine...no need to nitpick and imply that sending merchandise to Mexico is at all a good idea.

By "local" I meant if u live in GA then answering a call from a NY area code is most likely a waste of time. I've been the guy with an out of state area code and in the age of cell phones it's more common, but he wanted tips to increase the chance of finding a legitimate buyer and non legitimate buyers will usually have out of area codes. Also, I would never suggest it's a good idea for someone that's obviously new to selling or buying on CL do something risky like send anything to Mexico or deliver a car to another state.... that's just bad advice. I assume he will take my advice and mix it with some common sense and be fine...no need to nitpick and imply that sending merchandise to Mexico is at all a good idea.

The point is, it is only unsafe if you put your self in an unsafe situation, the bike went only after paper work and payment cleared the bank. A truck picked it up, A third party shipper from Uship and the only thing I ever heard again was a conformation it was delivered. The car was put on the trailer only after 50 % deposit was received and a public meeting was set at a mail in Missouri, buyer liked the car and had cash in hand, he bought me dinner and back we came. If some one is interested, has the money and good intentions they will not baulk at some safety precautions as they are good for both parties. the thing is it has to be a good deal for both parties, if you are asking more than a product is worth you are inviting phisers and other questionable sorts because they know you are either over valuing the product, greedy or desperate.