Incra and which table saw?

mzingali

Hey Guys,

I need some advice on which table saw to get that runs on 110V. Is there any particular brand that outshines the others?

I plan on attaching the Incra attachment and maybe the router extension as well to create a bigger table and have my saw and router utilize the same table (space saving).

Here's a link to the Incra attachment I'm talking about. I don't know if any of you have any experience with this.

http://www.incra.com/product_tscombo.htm

I'd love to have Powermatic, Grizzly, and other high end machines but I can't physically contain all that at the moment. A table saw with this attachment will pretty much fill up the middle of my garage with enought room to walk around it and have my drill press against the wall.

I just wanted to get some incite on a good table saw before I pull the trigger...lol

Mike

Hey Guys,

I need some advice on which table saw to get that runs on 110V. Is there any particular brand that outshines the others?

I plan on attaching the Incra attachment and maybe the router extension as well to create a bigger table and have my saw and router utilize the same table (space saving).

Here's a link to the Incra attachment I'm talking about. I don't know if any of you have any experience with this.

http://www.incra.com/product_tscombo.htm

I'd love to have Powermatic, Grizzly, and other high end machines but I can't physically contain all that at the moment. A table saw with this attachment will pretty much fill up the middle of my garage with enought room to walk around it and have my drill press against the wall.

I just wanted to get some incite on a good table saw before I pull the trigger...lol

Mike

Hey Mike,

I have the Incra system on my Craftsman 10" saw (contractor) with the iron extensions and I think it is just perfect the INCRA Fence was or is a 2 heads above the factory fence, I also added a router table to the left side of the saw (INCRA) and to be honest I hate it, I should have went with a stand alone table. When I go to saw wood or shape it I have to knock down the router setup and when I want to use the router the saw needs to get knocked down. I cannot say what you should do and your wallet is the deciding factor, I would recommened a stand alone router table it gives you that little bit of time saving. Hope I helped.

Jim

Cushing, WI

Incra makes some real nice stuff. My router set-up is all Incra. But that fence always seemed like overkill to me. I've never needed to shave off 1/64 of an inch and remember, you need a LOT of room to the right side of the saw. There's a lot of saws out there that operate on 110v. Any of the name brands like Jet, Delta, Grizzly make decent quality contractor style saws.

Thanks Guys for the replies! If I had the room for a dedicated router set up...I'd jump on it. My thoughts are to get a descent table saw, add the Incra TS-KS system with the router table to the right of the saw to fill in the space. That space would be taken up by an extension anyways.

I'm not in a hurry so if I have to stop and switch over from sawing to routing or vice versa, that's ok.

My biggest concern is, since I'm going to use the Incra system, (with or without router), would I need a table saw like a Jet or Grizzly or would something like the Ridgid R4512 work?

Like Jim was said, Incra set up with a Craftsman works just fine. Just double checking. I'd go for the router set up on the right instead of the left...the Incra videos are pretty sweet.

I've never owned a table saw so I'm looking for more advice.

TIA

Mike

I went with the left side as my bench is close to the saw on the right, anyway you look at it your still going to be crossing over something. I have one question why are you set on the listed table saw's? I have stayed with the Craftsman line as the parts when something breaks are available to way back in the years and that is my big concern. Rick brings up a good point on the overkill with the small graduations which are more for bragging rights and I still use a ruler and 1/64th is a tool and die maker. I also bought the Incra jig for dovetails and other joints and do not like it, I also purchased the dovetail jig from MLCS and it is the cats meow. My opinions are mine you must form your own it would be nice if you could rent the various items to find what you need.

Jim

Cushing, WI

Thanks for the reply Jim. I'm actually not set in stone with just those choices. I grew up with tools from Sears meaning quality but I think over the years, that has diminished. I'm still very open to any brand.

I agree with the renting...that would be awesome! I went to a Woodcraft store today and asked the guys there about the Incra system with the table saw and of course they said it is awesome...only thing, they also recommended to have a separate router set up. I can only assume as Jim put it that the take down and setup time is an issue for most folks.

I'm not doubting anyone's experience...just after watching the Incra guy in the videos saw and route wood pretty effortlessly and quickly, I wasn't sure if there were any other downsides to having the router table incorporated in the table saw. (figured only needing 1 fence would be so advantageous)

Mike

I have the Incra Ultra TS on my Ridgid 4511 , I bought the system used from a guy that had it on either a Craftsman or Delta contractors saw . I think his only reason for selling it was the amount of room it took up in his small basement shop . I bought the TS last winter when it was on clearance at HD , it was hard to pass up that deal . So far I love both the saw and the fence system .

Good to know! I'm kinda looking at all brands at the moment...Ridgid doesn't seem to have it's R4512 TS on it's website anymore and HD doesn't carry it either. I do like their lifetime service...but I'm not married to it. I'll looking hard this holiday season for deals.

I'm looking for really just the TS..no need for rails or even a fence...going with the Incra TS system to go on my TS once it get it..lol.

I've even been checking craiglist for TS sales..not much around central Texas at the moment.

Mike

I also have the Incra dovetail system and I love it for big projects when handcutting isn't gonna happen:) As a router table fence I also think it is the cats meow allowing precision out the wazzoo. That being said I have to agree with Rick, just my thoughts here, as to the ts fence system. It takes up a lot of real estate on your saw and hangs over ALOT when you are making wider cuts, the locking head for the incra setup is in an awkward place for when in use and the precision is easily obtained on the ts by simply bumping the fence over a smidge, I just don't think I would like that setup on my ts but you might. I see what you are going for trying to combine them and if you really want the fence for a router setup and if I were you I would really look around to see if there is anyway you could make a seperate router table fit in your shop even if it means a shorter one with a lift and sliding under the sidetable of your ts. Just my own thoughts here but that would give you the best of both worlds, great now the Hannah song is stuck in my head-can you tell I have a daughter!! Remember just my opinion here, keep us posted

Nate

Hey Nate,

my problem with the Incra dovetail system is the slide along the top of the fence rail as the rail has the teeth on the back side and it is not a smooth slide as I am continualy adjusting the set screws maybe me or a problem with the fence. It does make nice dove tails I will give it high points. I first went with the table saw fence system TS-LS system about 3 years ago, mine has the fine adj integrated with the locking mechanism. Last year I included the wonder fence as I have the router mounted to the saw and it all works although it is rather time consuming if during a routing operation you need to get at the table saw. I tried to use the router fence attachment for the table saw and it works but cumbersome, also in order to use the router I have to loosen the four set knobs on the cross beam to slide the whole fence system as it is not long enough in the table saw position . Have I confused antone yet. The bottom line is as the guy's are saying it takes up lots of space and if I were to do it over a dedicated router cabinet would be in my shop and will before thr year is out.

Ya'll have a Happy Holidays

Jimg

Cushing, WI

Very good points everyone! I guess in theory the router 'in' TS is a good idea but I do understand what all of you are saying. If I can manage the separate TS and Router table separately in my garage, what size router table would you suggest as a stand alone? I know the Incra's large router table set up is 27" x 43" tabletop..or I can make a router stand to any dimensions.

What do you experienced router guys recommend? width and length of router table.

The Incra system is expensive but does seem very well worth it. After all, if i set out to cut or route certain dimensions, I'd like to be able to get accurate cuts to acheive my desired dimensions.

I'd rather pick all of your brains and buy something good from the start...rather than whine later about what I should've, would've, could've done....I'm definitely taking notes and absorbing all of your advice!

Thanks again and I'm all ears!

Mike

Mike, I think you would be a lot happier with separate router table and TS, it allows you to go back and forth without resetting everything up which is a hassle and can cause inconsistent results as well. My router table is very large, I like having a long surface for support when routing mouldings (but you could always setup rollerstands too) and the size is helpful for batching out parts like door frames as well. My table is 38" tall which is a bit taller than many like but it is my preferance, and 44" wide. When I added my incra fence I also added on to the back of my table making it 40" deep to accomodate it, I have the 25" system so depending of which system you go with will determine your table size. It does have a big footprint so since it seems like space in a concern you may have to get pretty creative. Just a couple thoughts that come to mind are like I mentioned before having the height be adjustable and slide under the side table of your saw or the outfeed if you are going to have one. Another thing is like Jimmy said with having fold down leaves for when it's not in use. Lastly is having it hinged to the wall and flip it up when you want to use it and have a couple legs swing out from the wall or flip down from the top to support it. I am sure a couple more idea's will come to me when I am a little more awake and others will likely chime in as well. Hopefully you can make this work, the router table is one of the most used tools in my shop and I am sure you will love it as well.

Jim, I can see what you mean with the problems having it on your ts. As for the sled mine is as smooth as glass and with your adjusting bolts always coming loose I never have had an issue with it but have you tried a small dab of something like rubber sealant? I would think that would stick to the nylon and allowing you to basically mimic locktite to keep it from loosening but also allowing the affect to be reversible. Just a thought.

Nate