Festool C12

bignoise

I've found the festool C12 going for £200 (usual rrp £400). Set contains C12 drill, two 3Ah NiMH batteries, 70 minute charger, fastfix chuck, centrotec bit holder, a drill bit and screwdriver bit in a systainer.

I've use my dewalt 14v gun about 4/5 working days for three and a half years now. It's a good gun except that it feels heavy when fitting plasterboard on a ceiling all day. That and the catch has always stuck meaning that I can't always get it into reverse (often frustrating when holding something at the same time as fidgiting with the button)

To the point....my question(s)

Should I get this drill? Are NiMH battery good? 70mins is longer than my current dewalt charge of 40-50mins.

Do really I need a new drill or is the allure of a shiny discounted item playing tricks with me? Do I have a problem? :blink:

Has anyone got/tried this drill?

Cheers!

I have the C12 with the 1.3 NiCad batteries (lightest ones). It's a fantastic drill driver; the eccentric chuck is fantastic for near-wall drilling and driving. Its small size also makes it naturally more nimble.

In the UK, the C15 will be out soon (already?) with Lithion batteries. A bit more power, a built-in LED, but mostly the Lithion batteries that are even lighter. There'd be a premium on the price vs this drill so it depends if the even lighter one is the one you want. I have a DeWalt drill I got from my father (nobody's touchin' it!!) and find it much heavier than the C12 w/1.2 Nicad.

I can't tell if the price is good or not for you; is £400 the price with exactly those accessories? Here a 'kit' also includes the eccentric and Jacob chuck; I think what you are listing is the basic out here. Regardless, if you can get it for 50% off new for the same thing, it's a deal. You'll love the drill/driver. There is also a separate depth-set chuck available. I know one guy who uses it for setting plasterboard (well, we call it drywall :)) and loves it for that use. No kit includes that chuck; it is always a separate order item.

And, yes, you do have a problem... :) one Festool and it's overwith...

The rrp price is £430. The one on sale at £200 includes everything I mentioned (x2 batteries, 70 minute charger, fastfix chuck, centrotec bit holder, a drill bit and screwdriver bit in a systainer)

There is a lithion c12 out but it is going for £360 (rrp 460). I don't think a shorter charge time and a little bit lighter battery is worth £160 more then the NiMH one. I always have my spare battery fully charged and the other one in the gun, so charge time isn't really an issue.

I paid £150 for my dewalt 3 years ago so it does seem like a good deal......hmmmmmm :mellow: