Stanley Bedrock Plane Score!

jmaichel

I was in an antique store the other day looking for a no 4 plane I could use. I came across a Stanley Bedrock no 4 (not 604). I was not sure of the age of the plane at the time but I decided to pick it up. After help from people on this site and lumber jocks, it turns out that is a Stanley Bedrock no 4 Type 1. I used evaporust to remove most of the rust and it turned out pretty good. I have included some pics with distinct markings that identify it as a type 1 Bedrock Plane. Not sure if I can actually use and not sure what I am going to do with it. http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l535/jmaichel/

James

Nice score, James! Looks pretty decent. I admit that I haven't done the used+restore route on planes before, but I can say that one looks like it wouldn't be too difficult (especially because you are gonna do it! :))

So, hurry up, restore it in time for Shannon's next class...

Thanks Paul. I actually spent a couple hours lapping the sole of the plane today. I am very satisfied with how it looks. I thought it would be a daunting task but it was kind of invigorating bringing this plane back to life and romanticizing about how it might have been used 100 years ago. I think I am going to replace the blade next and then try using it on some wood. But wait that would mean I am actually doing some wood working and not just talking about it, reading about, or posting about it. :)

The guy looks for a smoothing plane and runs into a bedrock. We should all be so lucky! If you have a grinder, a wire wheel will get rid of a lot of rust, especially on things like the lever cap. The double-iron looks like it could stand to be replaced. I could be wrong, but it looks like some of that rust still needs to be taken off. I do it until I get to consistent bare metal; on something like that there's often a little pitting. My sequence for fixing up old planes in that shape:

1. Take it apart and set the tote and knob aside.

2. Wash the remaining metal parts with soap, water, and a large, sturdy stainless steel wire brush.

3. Dip the metal parts immediately into a container with plain white vinegar. Let them soak for 8-12 hours.

4. Repeat step 2.

5. Before they can flash rust, immediately dry and dip the parts into a container of mineral spirits.

6. Dry each part before you sand, brush, or wire brush it.

7. Degrease, tape off and repaint japanned parts with 600 degree black engine enamel.

8. Let the painted parts dry for a month.

9. Sand and refinish the tote and knob. Tung oil and rattlecan shellac with paste wax works well.

10. Flatten the sole and sides with a belt sander belt glued to a flat piece of MDF.

Reassemble, wipe it down with some Boeshield T-9, wax the sole with a candle, sharpen up a blade, and whee!