what shellac cut for filling the grain

Dan S

I'm experimenting with shellac as a grain filler, because I like the fact that it doesn't change the woods appearance much. I've been using a 2 lb. cut, and I have read that some people use a 3 lb. I'm interested in hearing how heavy a cut people have used, Because if i can use a heavier cut, i can get buy with fewer coats. What do people think about a 4 or 5 lb. cut?

Currently, I'm spraying with HVLP, but I could brush on as well if it was faster, because i could apply a heavier cut.

Is there a particular wood that you are thinking of filling the grain on or just any wood in general?

Also, how filled do you want it? Some texture showing or completely smooth?

I have just been using shellac sanding sealer on mohogany and I have built 3 coats on a project and it has just enough texture to show through without that really rough looking surface. I will topcoat over this with some full strength poly.

I have thought about trying to make a shellac "gel" for grain filling by adding just enough alcohol to dissolve the shellac into a gel like consistancy. Don't know if it will work or not.

Is there a particular wood that you are thinking of filling the grain on or just any wood in general?

Also, how filled do you want it? Some texture showing or completely smooth?

This would be for woods with medium sized pores like walnut and genuine mahogany. The texture I'm shooting for, is completely smooth.

The goal would be shellac to fill the grain, and lacquer as a top coat that could then be rubbed out.

I don't really have any answers for you, I am experimenting myself. I do know that for mahogany, I do not like using sanding dust to fill the grain. I do like what I have seen with the shellac sanding sealer in multiple coats. I think with 5 coats it would be completely smooth. I haven't made my own cuts of shellac so my "gel" idea is just an idea. It may not work. I do plan on trying it soon, I just have to get the shellac solids and start experimenting. One nice thing about shellac is that it cures quickly and it doesn't take long to build many layers.

I do like using the sanding dust to fill grain on walnut. It doesn't distort the grain like it does on the mahogany.

I can't wait to read what others have actually done with shellac to fill pores.

I fiiled the pores on the ash (big pores) top of my guitar using a #1 cut and french polish method. Apply about 3 coats, twice, then start applying more but dust it with #4 pumice first. Look up "steves guitar building" on you tube. I pretty much followed his method. There are some steps with wet sanding with 600 grt. ( I think he used 400). Time consuming, but the finish is nice.

DSC_4501.jpg

except for the smudges I forgot to wipe off before the pic....lol

I became fascinated with flake shellac about 15 years ago and have used it as a primary finish ever since, I mix my own but I've also used the Bullseye brand on oocasion with good results.

In my experience a 3lb cut is as stout as I would recommend, any heavier and I found it too slow to set up, seemed like it didn't want to dry all the way through the thicker layer. My best results for using it as a filler have been to use a 2lb cut and spray it on (using HVLP) then sand smooth, repeat until the desired texture is achieved. It tales multiple coats but with a sprayer they dry pretty fast (I live in a pretty dry climate). With the speed that shellac dries I was able to apply many coats in a single day.

I've also used a french polish method with success but only on smaller surfaces such as small table tops.

Experiment with heavier cuts, the beauty of shellac is that you can always go after an unsatisfactory finish with alcohol and rework it until you are happy.

Badflys