Woodturner's Catalog Pizza Cutter

spwiz5578

This is the first time I've attempted to make anything useful on a lathe. This year's Christmas presents include turned pizza cutter handles. I purchased the kits from Craft Supplies and am a little leery. I understand the instructions to drill a 31/64' hole in the blank, but the shaft of the cutter is 2 pieces of thin metal pushed together. They'll squeeze into a 31/64" hole, but I'm not sure what to use to secure them in place. I think the collet will help expand them as they slide in, but I'd feel better if the rest of the space was filled. Do I just use epoxy to help hold it in place?

I'm sure someone on here has been through this process. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sean

I have the Rockler version and have built several of their ice cream scoops, salt shakers, etc. I epoxy the parts together. I also epoxy the ferrules in place. If you are careful you can do it without any apparent squeeze out. I use 80 or 100 grit sand paper to rough up the shanks, wood, and inside of the ferrules.

• 1 month later...

Sean,

I've made several pizza cutters from the kit you describe and sold them commercially. I use 60 minute epoxy and try to completely fill the void. Try this sequence:

1. Dry fit everything to make sure it will all go together easily. You shouldn't have to force anything. Decide how the blade should fit versus the grain on the handle.
  2. Have a place ready where you can stand or clamp the assembled piece upright with the cutter up. I have a block drilled for this purpose since I make a lot of this sort of thing.
  3. Wear gloves! If you choose to use the acetone for cleanup a respirator is a good idea as well.
  4. Cut some 3" x 3" pieces of paper towel. Have some Q-tips handy. Have some acetone handy.
  5. Fill the hole in the handle with glue, leaving room for the metal tangs. This is trial and error unfortunately.
  6. Apply epoxy to the tenon that the ferrule fits on.
  7. Slide the ferrule onto the tangs (very frustrating if you forget this!).
  8. Assemble everything. Pay attention to grain orientation.
  9. Clean up any squeeze out, first with dry paper towels and Q-tips, then with ones moistened with acetone.
  10. Set aside for the epoxy to set. I forgot to mention that I completely finish the handle before gluing. I use Minwax Antique Oil Finish.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Alex P