Walnut Kitchenette question

dlamulle

I just finished a Walnut topped Kitchenette for my daughter and delivered it yesterday.  She had been bugging me since I finished it and I gave in and brought it over a little bit sooner I guess than I should have.  She placed a glass of cold water on the top for about 30 seconds and it left a very slight ring which you can see if you look at it from the side.  I'm pretty bothered because I thought my finish would have repelled that but I'm not sure if it's my finish choice or maybe didn't cure long enough so I'm looking for some advice please.

I used the 3 part-BLO/Spar Varnish/Turpentine blend mixed in even amounts.  Applied 5 coats waiting 24 hours between coats.  Last coat dried for 48 hours then delivered.  Is there a way to repair without removing finish?  Should I have used a different choice for top as in Seal a Cell and Armor Seal or straight wiping poly?  I really wanted the oil to bring out the grain in the walnut I chose and it looks beautiful just worried about its durability.  Can I over coat with Pure varnish? Should I just let it cure longer before use.

Your comments will be much appreciated.

David

Mike,

Thanks so much for your reply.  I've been using this finish for years, got it from an article in Fine Woodworking by Garrett Hack in 1997.  I am fine with top coating with ARS but wanted to make sure it would be compatible.  Would any type of wipe on urethane or poly work as well?  I can scrape it down to bare wood and start again but she so wants to use it for Christmas. Waiting until this weekend would give it 10 days curing time.  It's indoors with 74 deg. temp and low humidity so it sure cure faster.  More opinions are welcome as well.  Thanks all.

Dave