Tennis with my bride

Bobby Slack

So my bride and I met 14 years ago playing tennis. I have been neglecting this part of my relationship and lately with my injuries, my ability to play with her got worse. I started working out again, stretching. Mind you ... we both play for blood, never for fun, we play for teams with a goal to get to nationals.

Today we had a fantastic day, 85 degrees, shorts and t shirt for me.

Now ... when you have a man and a lady play you call this ... mixed doubles.

BUT when is a husband and a wife is called ... mixed troubles.

We managed not to argue too much (after she found out I was right ... :lol:

Playing doubles is like stealing base in baseball, so the player at the net has to move, fake, take shots and once in a while you get passed.

Anyway, wanted to share a non woodworking passion, a non woodworking day because now we have to walk to a neighbors home and mingle for Christmas. Then Christmas decorations ... I really want to get back to sanding.

You guys all have a great Sunday.

I met my bride on the phone in 8th grade (1986). She is my hobby and woodworking is my other one! Actually we both love to shoot. She shoots a camera and I like to shoot airguns. Airguns? Yeah, I'm a grown man that shoots BB guns. :) Well they are actually more than the average sporting goods store pellet gun, much more in quality and are built to last generations, not just a teenage kids attention span.

Happy playing!

gee, only mid-70s here today. Some nice driveway shop time. No tennis, but tomorrow and Wednesday and an in between day tbd. My wife's dad built a court for the kids when they were young down in San Diego area. She'd hide in the ravin when the hired instructor showed up to give lessons to the kids. Needless to say, tennis is not her sport. So I have to carry the load for us both.

So my bride and I met 14 years ago playing tennis. I have been neglecting this part of my relationship and lately with my injuries, my ability to play with her got worse. I started working out again, stretching. Mind you ... we both play for blood, never for fun, we play for teams with a goal to get to nationals.

Today we had a fantastic day, 85 degrees, shorts and t shirt for me.

Now ... when you have a man and a lady play you call this ... mixed doubles.

BUT when is a husband and a wife is called ... mixed troubles.

We managed not to argue too much (after she found out I was right ... :lol:

Playing doubles is like stealing base in baseball, so the player at the net has to move, fake, take shots and once in a while you get passed.

Anyway, wanted to share a non woodworking passion, a non woodworking day because now we have to walk to a neighbors home and mingle for Christmas. Then Christmas decorations ... I really want to get back to sanding.

You guys all have a great Sunday.

Bobby -

My 1st Mate and I have been playing Tennis together since we were 17 and dating. That was 42-years ago. We always played for "blood" ... and sometimes she took a set from me. She, actually, is a far better athlete than me ... but, after a back injury at 19 (going deep for a backhand in the corner that I should have let go) I learned the art of "junk" ... and she hates it. It's not pretty but it gets the job done. If I smack them at her as hard as I can, she hits them back harder. She only has one speed ... hard and fast! Soft and spinning drives her nuts.

My 29-year-old son in Atlanta married the same kind of woman. They battle each other with huge ferocity and ... yep ... she will often take a set from him. She is the #1 Woman player on their team. They are fortunate to be in Atlanta. They are able to play almost year-round outside.

• Like 1

That is great to hear. Not to brag, my bride and I both have won many trophies. We both won sectionals and went to nationals. What sucks is when we play together and I have to admit that I am an alpha, and really don't like it when my "manager" gives me her "input" on the court. I am very hot headed on the court.

So, to be able to not totally suck, I am on a training session every morning at 5 AM hit the gym, do the elliptical for one hour, stretch, situps ... go home. Hit the ball with guys twice a week and play doubles with my bride ... "mixed troubles" on Sunday.

I was a fanatic about tennis. I am a fanatic of whatever my passion is for the moment. Tennis was a huge part of me a while ago and I can't afford the time to be the best I can be right now because of my love for woodworking.

In regards to the junk shot, that is a great game to have, many times slowing the ball to a hard hitting opponent is extremely effective. I like to hit it really hard and guys like you :D make us work on our patience. Junk is also called "touch".

Glad to know that your son kept the tradition ...

A family that plays together ... stays together.

Bobby -

My 1st Mate and I have been playing Tennis together since we were 17 and dating. That was 42-years ago. We always played for "blood" ... and sometimes she took a set from me. She, actually, is a far better athlete than me ... but, after a back injury at 19 (going deep for a backhand in the corner that I should have let go) I learned the art of "junk" ... and she hates it. It's not pretty but it gets the job done. If I smack them at her as hard as I can, she hits them back harder. She only has one speed ... hard and fast! Soft and spinning drives her nuts.

My 29-year-old son in Atlanta married the same kind of woman. They battle each other with huge ferocity and ... yep ... she will often take a set from him. She is the #1 Woman player on their team. They are fortunate to be in Atlanta. They are able to play almost year-round outside.

Tom. I worked with juniors when I was better and being a parent who "promotes" passion for tennis is a pain for the kid some times. On the other hand I also saw kids who never get to be good at any sport and ... are somewhat athletic and hurts their college options. Is a difficult call. You know that as a parent you will never be right anyway ... B)

San Diego ... best weather in the world! Lucky you living in Santa Barbara. Love it.

gee, only mid-70s here today. Some nice driveway shop time. No tennis, but tomorrow and Wednesday and an in between day tbd. My wife's dad built a court for the kids when they were young down in San Diego area. She'd hide in the ravin when the hired instructor showed up to give lessons to the kids. Needless to say, tennis is not her sport. So I have to carry the load for us both.

Brett. As long as you do something together. He we have some crows in this neighborhood who need some persuasion to move to a different zip code ... you are invited with your passion

I met my bride on the phone in 8th grade (1986). She is my hobby and woodworking is my other one! Actually we both love to shoot. She shoots a camera and I like to shoot airguns. Airguns? Yeah, I'm a grown man that shoots BB guns. :) Well they are actually more than the average sporting goods store pellet gun, much more in quality and are built to last generations, not just a teenage kids attention span.

Happy playing!

I was told early on in life the best way to stay married is to NOT try to teach your wife to: play golf, fly, water ski, fish, hunt,on and on ad nauseum. I didn't listen. I taught her to fly and play golf. She is very good at both. We have been married for 41 years. We are happy with each other and our situation. She is the prime mover in the pair, I got tired of being the "Head of department, Commander of Unit, etc, that I really do not mind her being the Alpha person in the marriage. She never interfered in any of the situations that caused me headaches, but always had really good input when I did ask for her opinion. She asks me about things once in a while, but definately has her own way of doing things. This gives me a lot more leeway in doing what I wish to do.

I've always had a big serve (relative to rest of my game), even now, age adjusted of course. But for long time everything else was hard and harder. Looked good from a distance, but I never won against those with solid skills. Even had to work like crazy to beat junk ball (ahem, you could say "touch") players. Then I developed a drop and slice and suddenly those types didn't pose the difficulty as before. Took long time to learn that of course. With thrashed knees I have to play "smart," besides not being able to move, crap knees also affect basic balance, so everything is a challenge/adventure. But I love serving. Don't get the fun, lower body thrust as in the good ol' days, but can somewhat compensate with torso explosion (well, maybe creaking). Don't get to play as much these days or for as long as I'd like, but I could hit serves for hours. Guy I took lessons with many years ago (who gave me my drop shot) turned 90 this year and plays most every day. Usually makes all the big nationals (hard court, grass, clay, indoor) as well as a few European tourneys. More times than not he takes first in age group. Took up tennis late, but was driven to succeed. Still see him occasionally. Tall, trim, fit and competitive.

Agreed, it is nice to have shared interests with spouses, but important to realize that it works for some, but not others. Nice to hear of those who have made it work.

Tom. I hear you about the serve (same here). I made a living on my serve at my level. One day I had to play one of this steady rally guys (who also cheat) and we had a challenge match at the club. At that time I was super fit. I told my coach that is impossible to hit through this guys ball. I was told to slow down the serve, and when this guy hit a loopy ball, hit it back higher, so I made sure to hit under the ball and give a lot of topspin (I grew up playing tennis in Argentina on red clay). We had a match that was at least three hours long. I beat him and we both could not walk for three days. :lol:

Now in my old days I tell my wife that since I don't have the mobility let's block both the middle of the court to our opponents and give them the lines. This strategy is sort of playing 2 on 1. Example, I always play the add side (overhead in the middle) so if I hit the ball down the line, my wife must have her left foot almost on the middle and I will get close to the alley and there is no way the opponent will pass us through us in the middle of the court, they will have to lob ... pum overhead ... or try a crazy angle which is difficult to hit consistently.

I never had touch but having ADD and not being able to focus for a long time, I americanized my game and I serve and volley a lot more than before.

In my view ... power comes from the legs. Another thing I focus on is "load on the back foot and unload to your front foot" on your shot. That gave me more depth and allowed me to hit a heavier ball.

The serve. When I was a kid I would go to my club and there was nobody to play so I served for hours and I would try to copy the "American Twist" of the guys who played on tv. My serve was always good for that reason. The backhand took longer to develop.

hmmmm ... tennis talk ... new forum? :D

I've always had a big serve (relative to rest of my game), even now, age adjusted of course. But for long time everything else was hard and harder. Looked good from a distance, but I never won against those with solid skills. Even had to work like crazy to beat junk ball (ahem, you could say "touch") players. Then I developed a drop and slice and suddenly those types didn't pose the difficulty as before. Took long time to learn that of course. With thrashed knees I have to play "smart," besides not being able to move, crap knees also affect basic balance, so everything is a challenge/adventure. But I love serving. Don't get the fun, lower body thrust as in the good ol' days, but can somewhat compensate with torso explosion (well, maybe creaking). Don't get to play as much these days or for as long as I'd like, but I could hit serves for hours. Guy I took lessons with many years ago (who gave me my drop shot) turned 90 this year and plays most every day. Usually makes all the big nationals (hard court, grass, clay, indoor) as well as a few European tourneys. More times than not he takes first in age group. Took up tennis late, but was driven to succeed. Still see him occasionally. Tall, trim, fit and competitive.

Agreed, it is nice to have shared interests with spouses, but important to realize that it works for some, but not others. Nice to hear of those who have made it work.