Craftsman chair

Looking for a design (prints) for an quasi craftsman chair that I can use with a small square table. Something shorter, but about 4-5" taller than the table height. This will be from cypress and used outdoors for a 4 ft x 4 ft dining table. No arms.

Thanks to all.

Brian, by “craftsman chair” what are you referring to? Maybe you could post a link to a picture that is about what you want. Also, since quasi usually means “resembling”, then how different are you thinking? It may seem obvious, but is “something shorter” mean the seat height relative to the table top, and is “taller than the table height” mean from the top of the table to the top of the chair back? How many inches is the table top from the floor (ground)? Thanks.

By Craftsman I refer to square blocky design like Stickley and others that used basic mortise and tenon joinery. Plain, nothing fancy keeping the seat height 17 or 17-1/2 inches, no arms, but with a shorter back than most I see. This is for an outdoor table and I want to keep the back height lower so they don't restrict of obscure the views of the yard.

I am playing with a design I saw in a book and drawing my own, but thought if I could find something out there that had a set of drawings it would simplify the process a lot for me.

Thanks

Brian

Thanks Brian for the picture. Mission style came to mind but I wasn’t sure without more information. Most plans are either someone’s special build (one off) or they are pretty standard. I’m guessing that after you determine what height “… so they don't restrict or obscure the views of the yard” you may find that you'll need to shorten the back of the chair. The chair link you supplied has a 38” back, so you could cut out a piece of cardboard that height by 19” wide, to see to what extent it obstructs the view, then cut it down from there until you reach a height you find acceptable.

What I will do if you want, is to see if I can locate a set of plans for building the standard mission style chair, and from there you can modify the seat back to suit. Hopefully other readers of your post will be able to supply more specific information or a set of plans.

Thanks Brian for the picture. Mission style came to mind but I wasn’t sure without more information. Most plans are either someone’s special build (one off) or they are pretty standard. I’m guessing that after you determine what height “… so they don't restrict or obscure the views of the yard” you may find that you'll need to shorten the back of the chair. The chair link you supplied has a 38” back, so you could cut out a piece of cardboard that height by 19” wide, to see to what extent it obstructs the view, then cut it down from there until you reach a height you find acceptable.

What I will do if you want, is to see if I can locate a set of plans for building the standard mission style chair, and from there you can modify the seat back to suit. Hopefully other readers of your post will be able to supply more specific information or a set of plans.

Thank you for your kind assistance. much appreciated.

brian

Thank you for your kind assistance. much appreciated.

brian

Brian, I tried to find some plans that are free and found very little. However I did find the following free plans. They are probably not as comprehensive as the pay for plans but they are something you can look at and decide if they might work for you.

This first one is referred to as an Arts & Crafts chair so it does not look quite like a “Mission” style chair. This second one is an armless chair that may work for you (considered a “Stickley” chair), and this third one has arms that can be left off for an armless version. The Third one is really the same as the second one, but about 5” wider. You may prefer the wider chair without arms, but that’s your call.

If these don’t work for you I can look around for a pay for plan.

Brian, I tried to find some plans that are free and found very little. However I did find the following free plans. They are probably not as comprehensive as the pay for plans but they are something you can look at and decide if they might work for you.

This first one is referred to as an Arts & Crafts chair so it does not look quite like a “Mission” style chair. This second one is an armless chair that may work for you (considered a “Stickley” chair), and this third one has arms that can be left off for an armless version. The Third one is really the same as the second one, but about 5” wider. You may prefer the wider chair without arms, but that’s your call.

If these don’t work for you I can look around for a pay for plan.

Thanks again for the kindness. This is a great place to stat. Much appreciated

Brian

• 1 month later...

Finally getting around to reviewing this design. http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/projects/archive/2010/01/22/stickley-side-chair.aspx

I plan to do this as a mortise and tenon design using these plans. Looking at the angle from the front width to the back width, I am not sure how to let in the side stringers to the back legs to get the angle cut correct on the cheek and have the tenon be the correct angle to the mortise in the leg.

Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian